General Election 2024: July 4th

29 minutes ago, altus said:

Looks like the accusations of him being too frit to stand finally got to him.

Does anyone think he'd make a good local MP - helping sort out his constituents' problems, etc. rather than just grandstanding in the House of Commons and flying off to the US to suck up to Trump?

Wasn't he going to emigrate to Germany?

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

Do you live in Clacton Westy?

It's Clacton on Sea.   No I don't live there but Mr Farage's decision to stand and the lead Reform will boost their votes nationally.

29 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Seven times failure Farage is the owner of a company which  described  its business as 'Activities of political organisations'  -The Brexit Party- is registered  as a political but the Electoral Commission has permitted it to call itself  'Reform Party'. No wonder he forced Tice to make way to become the only unelected leader in the UK elections to field significant candidates.

Mr Farage would win a Reform leadership election easily.  I can't remember Mr Sunak or Mr Swinney  winning leadership elections for their respective parties. 

17 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Just watched the Conservative party political broadcast,  and just when I thought comedy on TV had died. :hihi:

What did you find funny about it?

1 hour ago, Prettytom said:

Excellent.

Vote Farage, get Starmer. All is good.

Labour were always going to win the next election anyway. What this now means is that Reform are going to take an even bigger chunk of the Tory vote than they were before this announcement, which should actually force the Tories to become conservative in nature again. Just like how Farage and UKIP scared the crap out of the Tories previously which meant they agreed to the EU referendum.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vrsaljko said:

Labour were always going to win the next election anyway. What this now means is that Reform are going to take an even bigger chunk of the Tory vote than they were before this announcement, which should actually force the Tories to become conservative in nature again. Just like how Farage and UKIP scared the crap out of the Tories previously which meant they agreed to the EU referendum.

Yes, but to become a traditional Conservative Party like the ones I grew up with, they need to move towards the centre.

Trying to capture the loony right vote is Sunak’s biggest mistake 

4 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

Yes, but to become a traditional Conservative Party like the ones I grew up with, they need to move towards the centre.

Trying to capture the loony right vote is Sunak’s biggest mistake 

I'd disagree. The reason they are losing voters en masse is that they have drifted from being a traditionally socially conservative party, to a bland nothing party that is heading towards the centre. Look at some of the prominent faces of the Conservative party in recent years. Boris Johnson, Liz Truss, Theresa May, Rishi Sunak etc. Not a single one of them is an actual conservative.

Reform are currently polling at about 15% of the electorate too. That isn't some loony fringe as you put it. It's people who are concerned about a decrease in family values, mass immigration, and the indoctrination of children with dangerous ideologies etc. If these people all defect to Reform then the Tories haven't got a chance of being elected again anytime soon.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vrsaljko said:

I'd disagree. The reason they are losing voters en masse is that they have drifted from being a traditionally socially conservative party, to a bland nothing party that is heading towards the centre. Look at some of the prominent faces of the Conservative party in recent years. Boris Johnson, Liz Truss, Theresa May, Rishi Sunak etc. Not a single one of them is an actual conservative.

Reform are currently polling at about 15% of the electorate too. That isn't some loony fringe as you put it. It's people who are concerned about a decrease in family values, mass immigration, and the indoctrination of children with dangerous ideologies etc. If these people all defect to Reform then the Tories haven't got a chance of being elected again anytime soon.

But their appeal is pretty much solely to the over-50s, which would explain their disproportionate popularity on here. That's not going to win a GE, especially if the vote is extended to 17 and 18 year olds. But carry on splitting the right wing vote, it suits me.