1. 1. How will you be voting in the General Election 2024

• Conservative
    • Green
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Reform
    • Other / Independent
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Is your vote the same or different to how you voted in the last General Election

• The Same
    • Different

This poll is closed to new votes

38 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I agree up to a point. But it's also how the money is spent too. Pumping money into a black hole is a waste of time and money. Systems need to change, money needs to be spent judiciously and wisely where it will do most good across all departments.

Don't forget thanks to Tory cuts, quite a number of places have got a backlog of basic maintenance and upgrades needing doing and/or just creaky old building that really need replacing.

So money going in might not go for improvements or extra staff, merely fixing the issues that have been left to fester because there wasn't the funding to address them previously.

3 minutes ago, Delayed said:

Well if popular opinion is to be believed, labour will do it quicker because they aren't lying cheating corrupt selfish clown Tories. 

Well, that is all true of the Tories, but the big problems our society faces are very much structural, in that they are products of the economic system that governs so much of our lives. Different governments can to some extent mitigate against some of these problems, but there is always a tension between doing the things that reduce problems on the one hand, and the needs of the dominant economic system that causes those problems on the other. Very, very few politicians will ever admit this. 

Here's a list of things that over time, Europeans have decided are the problems that, if 'fixed', will solve all of the structural problems:

Jews 

Communists

Gypsies

Environmentalists

Protestors 

Atheists

The EU

Migration 

Muslims

Africans

Asians

The Illuminati 

Net zero

Catholics

Trans people

Literally anything except the economic system that underlies the big problems.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Wing Commander said:

Hopefully not.  Let's hope Starmer practices what he preaches. The praise being given to Starmer for turning the Labour party around is well over the top.  He's been the luckiest opposition party leader in history.

No chance.  Labour have been getting money from donors for years - those donors will want their favours granting.  

NHS is the obvious one:

Labour: Wes Streeting takes £175k from donors linked to private health firms

https://www.thenational.scot/news/24250557.wes-streeting-takes-175k-donors-linked-private-health-firms/

But I'd also look for changes in gambling laws to suit the firms:

Gambling Firms Prey on the Working Class. Why is Labour Taking Their Money?

https://novaramedia.com/2023/01/26/gambling-firms-prey-on-the-working-class-why-is-labour-taking-their-money/

Shrodingers Borderline Normal on X: "Angela Rayner received £234,410 in  donations in 2020. Ask yourself what favours they'll want in return?  https://t.co/K8N5N8FbVi" / X

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

No chance.  Labour have been getting money from donors for years - those donors will want their favours granting.  

NHS is the obvious one:

Labour: Wes Streeting takes £175k from donors linked to private health firms

https://www.thenational.scot/news/24250557.wes-streeting-takes-175k-donors-linked-private-health-firms/

But I'd also look for changes in gambling laws to suit the firms:

Gambling Firms Prey on the Working Class. Why is Labour Taking Their Money?

https://novaramedia.com/2023/01/26/gambling-firms-prey-on-the-working-class-why-is-labour-taking-their-money/

Shrodingers Borderline Normal on X: "Angela Rayner received £234,410 in  donations in 2020. Ask yourself what favours they'll want in return?  https://t.co/K8N5N8FbVi" / X

Starmer has such a big majority that he shouldn't beholding to anyone.  I hope I vote for Labour next time because it will mean he's done a good job as prime minister.

Edited by Wing Commander

1 minute ago, HumbleNarrator said:

Everywhere Reform stood and lost needs to be flooded with illegal migrants. 

Everywhere Reform stood and won needed to be flooded full stop

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, geared said:

Everywhere Reform stood and won needed to be flooded full stop

Reform UK more than deserved to win the seats they did.  There are more Reform UK voters than Lib Dem voters.   Lee Anderson did well to keep his seat.  Labour has Reform UK to thank for their big majority.

How apt, a Labour Victory today 5 July 2024, when on this day, 5 July 1948, the NHS came into being.  The old lady is 76 years old today 🍾

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

Yes, so it's a shame he is neither of these. I suspect it's going to feel like 5 years of watching the England football team passing sideways in midfield before sending it back to the keeper.

You might be right. I hope not though.

There is a big chance to transform the country and he really must take it. I think that we can all see the economic issues that face the new government, I’m hoping that they’ll be brave enough to tax wealth, particularly the obscene amount of foreign money laundered through the UK property market.They also need to borrow judiciously to fund some radical policies. 

There is an urgent need to look at reforms for existing public services, to get the money to the point of delivery. That means fewer NHS managers and and end to the gravy train of running schools through academy trusts.

They’ve done a brilliant job of not frightening the horses. Now they need to give people a bit of hope for the future.

• SheffieldForum changed the title to General Election 2024: Landslide Labour Win