1. 1. How will you be voting in the General Election 2024

• Conservative
    • Green
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Reform
    • Other / Independent
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Is your vote the same or different to how you voted in the last General Election

• The Same
    • Different

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, Wing Commander said:

You're a strange chap.  You should be forgetting about the Conservative Party and their Daily Mail supporters and enjoying the achievement of Labour winning an election.  

No never forget the Mail and its ilk. 

They may be slightly and temporarily chastened for now by the scale of the Labour victory, but it always pays to keep on eye on them and call out their lies, obfuscation and hypocrisy when they appear.:thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, Mister M said:

No never forget the Mail and its ilk. 

They may be slightly and temporarily chastened for now by the scale of the Labour victory, but it always pays to keep on eye on them and call out their lies, obfuscation and hypocrisy when they appear.:thumbsup:

The Daily Mail has moved on 

But today the Mail’s leader column was gracious in defeat, stating: “The Mail offers Sir Keir our sincerest congratulations. The people of this country have spoken…

Time for you to move on if you want to better yourself and become  a decent bona fide  chap.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, m williamson said:

Perhaps I'm totally misunderstanding you here. Are you saying that if someone speaks with a posh accent and has been privately educated it qualifies them to run the country far more than someone who speaks with a regional accent and was state educated?

Because if that is what you're saying it is a servile and obsequious way of looking at things. People should be judged on their actions and how they cope with responsibility.  Boris Johnson. Jacob Rees Mogg, James Cleverly and David Frost are amongst a number of privately educated people who have demonstrated that  being privileged doesn't prevent you from being useless and unfit for any serious level of responsibility.

The poster before showed a graph showing the percentage of 'state educated' PMs. Clearly showing Labour have more, but my point was that this isn't much of a claim to fame, since all of the Labour PMs left the country in a dire situation.  (much like now with what the tories have done, and hence they have collapsed and lost votes)

21 hours ago, Mister M said:

I don't think Tony Blair has an ideology. It tends to be the tv news that focuses on the 1st Asian MP, 1st female chancellor etc. 

Perhaps nowadays it's less important if someone who has a less traditionally represented characteristic or background breaks the glass ceiling, though it's always good for young people to have positive role models. 

Not sure how you work out that people from state education '**** up' the economy more times. As for not liking Rees Mogg, I never said I disliked him for the money he has, just the way some people venerate and fawn over him for the fact that he has money - it's like that phrase it's not having money, but the love of money which is at the root of evil.

His ideology is far more left wing than he ever said. He was charismatic and people were sick of the tories. 

Now the same but the other way around. It's like a merry-go-round of nonsense the politics in your country.  

20 hours ago, peak4 said:

Decent article here, by an ex public schoo

Iain Overton

I'd rather have the likes of James Timpson responsible for prisons than some of the previous Tories.

James Timpson on almost losing it all, the UK’s prison crisis and the underrated power of kindness   Crisis What Crisis
JUNE 10, 2022. SERIES 6. EPISODE 46

I've messed up the quote (and not even attempting to fix it, quoting is much harder these days, but I read the first one, and a very interesting read. 

It's from the perspective of someone who grew up in boarding schools (from 8   - and also is the view of someone who never went to state school. What he said is what I think we all know a little about these expensive elite schools. He doesn't have any experience of state schools to compare. It seems like a much greater version of what I remember of state schools. 

8 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

People like Burnham and Raynor have been brought up in the school of hard knocks, they have experienced being skint and found it hard to have paid bills, they are intouch with hardship and the real world unlike the born in a wealthy bubble situation where their Eton/Oxford lives are mapped out for them  and havn't got a clue about financial struggle.   

Spoken like a true leftie. 

Burnham and Raynor (more specifically Burnham) have grown up to just hate everyone who is richer than them, and just want to 'politely' take their money off them, regardless of whether they deserve it or not. 

7 hours ago, Lizzie b said:

I couldn't quote this Lizzie as you wrote in my quote (not easy with this software)

I'm sure NMW was £3.40, but I could be wrong. Either way, everyone in the company I worked at kept their current rate which was more than NMW, but they were soon out of the door if they made a mistake and replaced with NMW employees which saved the company money and more money for the bosses. 

Still, no one saw that side of it, unless they experienced it. NMW is something I am totally against, and I consider it to have caused more damage to Britain than most policies (not as much as the Blair policy of relaxing gambling laws which meant every other high street shop in towns became a betting shop).

You said you were earning too much to claim benefits, which I don't understand if you were on minimum wage, but I suspect you wrote 'earn' instead of savings, because you said your hubby had just been made redundant, and he he got a payout of more than 'x', then you wouldn't be entitled to it. (I don't know what the 'x' was in 1997, but today, I think you can't claim if you have about 5 or 6K in the bank). 

10 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

The poster before showed a graph showing the percentage of 'state educated' PMs. Clearly showing Labour have more, but my point was that this isn't much of a claim to fame, since all of the Labour PMs left the country in a dire situation.  (much like now with what the tories have done, and hence they have collapsed and lost votes)

His ideology is far more left wing than he ever said. He was charismatic and people were sick of the tories. 

In my life time there was the 1979 - 1981 then the 1990 - 1992 recessions, and older people will talk about the 'Barber boom' of the early 1970s

You say that Blair's ideology was far more left wing than he ever said. I just don't see the evidence of that ideology - using more of the private finance and sector in the delivery of public services, more punitive approach to civil liberties, a more hawkish approach to foreign affairs, a much greater gap between rich and poor.... None of that is evidence of his left wing credentials.

• Like 1

People are concerned about taxes and handing over money to the state, but its not that bad

If for example you own 5 houses, then you only need 1 home to live in you can sell 4 of your houses

You might end up with a 40% tax bill, but if you sell 4 houses you could get 2 million quid, so if you pay 40% then you sell have £1,200000 left.

I accept that £1,200000 is only a bit of loose change but it should tide you over for a couple of years

4 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

As someone once said " Oppositions don't win elections, governments lose them "  leaving the country in a bit of turmoil isn't something unusual.

However, never in my long lifetime has a government made such an unholy mess of things to the degree which the Tory's have during their incompetent and blatantly corrupt term.

The flagrant lack of basic honesty and morals has made the country look like a kleptocracy. A significant number of those in authority during that period were privately educated. Only 6.4% of people in England are privately educated yet 63% of the last Tory cabinet went to private schools.

That results in a serious lack of knowledge as to how the majority of the population they preside over live and what their requirements are.

The best managing director I reported to was privately educated and went to Cambridge, he was excellent. I also know two families ( one as friends of over forty five years and one I'm related to ) who are multi millionaires. They are also good people and I'm pleased for them.

All I ask is that elected politicians should work for the good of the country in general and not operate as an old boys/girls profiteering syndicate which appears to have been happening two much recently.

https://www.libdems.org.uk/news/adlib-articles/the-a-z-of-tory-sleaze-scandal

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-pm-rishi-sunak-cant-leave-the-stench-of-tory-sleaze-behind-nadhim-zahawi-boris-johnson/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mister M said:

The more Daily Mail readers emigrate because of a Labour government, the better as far as I'm concerned:

image.png.5ddcc312dae700e2e5850020bf6489a1.png

😂

Spoken like a true bitter lefty.

• Like 1

On 06/07/2024 at 09:44, Baron99 said:

Or maybe  SF posters won't complain because it's Labour, then that would make them two-faced hypocrites & I don't think you can get that condition treated on the NHS. 

Well if you could leave voters would have gobbled it all up already, and Brexit would have limited further supplies! 🤣

On 06/07/2024 at 20:42, Wing Commander said:

Why is his wife stupid?  Public money won't have been used to pay for the dress.  Did you like Mrs Starmer's  dress?  I thought Mrs Starmer looked great in her dress.

I was quite impressed that Starmer kept Mrs Starmer out of the spotlight. Usually the spouse is wheeled out to support the campaign, particularly if they are attractive and seen as an assett. But Starmer didn't 'use' her, so well done him.

No doubt she will now have a higher profile and be scrutinised thanks to the media,  whether she likes it or not.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I was quite impressed that Starmer kept Mrs Starmer out of the spotlight. Usually the spouse is wheeled out to support the campaign, particularly if they are attractive and seen as an assett. But Starmer didn't 'use' her, so well done him.

No doubt she will now have a higher profile and be scrutinised thanks to the media,  whether she likes it or not.  

Maybe someone on here could talk about how rich she is . They did with Sunaks wife. 

• Like 1