1. 1. How will you be voting in the General Election 2024

• Conservative
    • Green
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Reform
    • Other / Independent
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Is your vote the same or different to how you voted in the last General Election

• The Same
    • Different

14 hours ago, Mister Gee said:

I don’t recall as a kid having my folks boiling water before we had to drink it. You can also say what you like about 1970s trade unions but I can’t remember anyone in a full-time job needing to use a food bank.

Probably because they cooked their own food rather than buying expensive takeaways?

13 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Probably because they cooked their own food rather than buying expensive takeaways?

That is the point Lee Anderson made. 

2 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Wheres the stats showing that people using food banks are always buying expensive takeaways? Or is it just a made up nonsense?

It's my opinion.

Like others have alluded to, I just don't understand why anyone in full time employment should require a foodbank, unless they are just incredibly useless with their finances.

I know how much it costs to feed a family and I know it can be done very cheaply if you buy the right foods and cook it yourself. 

3 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

It's my opinion.

Like others have alluded to, I just don't understand why anyone in full time employment should require a foodbank, unless they are just incredibly useless with their finances.

Lots of reasons: Bereavement; divorce / relationship break-up; If a person is on a zero hour contract, they may not get enough work one particular month; events like children needing new winter coat or shoes, or children growing out of their clothes and needing new ones. 

3 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

I know how much it costs to feed a family and I know it can be done very cheaply if you buy the right foods and cook it yourself. 

If all things are equal such as someone not having an allergy; or the the oven breaking; or some unexpected life event happens etc.

Many people won't know how to cook for themselves, my Dad's generation were brought up thinking they never had to bother with cooking etc. I think unfortunately there is a lot of stigma attached to people who struggle with the basics of life, some of those people may have mild learning difficulties. So someone crowing how easy it is to cope, and that people who can't cope must have something wrong with them, aren't really helping.

15 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Lots of reasons: Bereavement; divorce / relationship break-up; If a person is on a zero hour contract, they may not get enough work one particular month; events like children needing new winter coat or shoes, or children growing out of their clothes and needing new ones. 

If all things are equal such as someone not having an allergy; or the the oven breaking; or some unexpected life event happens etc.

Many people won't know how to cook for themselves, my Dad's generation were brought up thinking they never had to bother with cooking etc. I think unfortunately there is a lot of stigma attached to people who struggle with the basics of life, some of those people may have mild learning difficulties. So someone crowing how easy it is to cope, and that people who can't cope must have something wrong with them, aren't really helping.

So basically you are saying that some of the reasons are not to do with finance but life skills?  

I am not against food banks, far from it, it's a wonderful idea and will help many genuine folk who are struggling. I guess the cynic in me just automatically thinks of the multitude of folk who abuse it.

2 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

So basically you are saying that some of the reasons are not to do with finance but life skills?  

I am not against food banks, far from it, it's a wonderful idea and will help many genuine folk who are struggling. I guess the cynic in me just automatically thinks of the multitude of folk who abuse it.

it is like the benefits system — there will be a minority that abuse it, but overall it is doing good.

Don't let the tiny minority affect helping the folk that do need it. If you can deal with the dishonest minority then great, but if not then don’t let that stop the good work helping the folk that are desperate and absolutely do need it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

Life skills, circumstances, changing fortunes etc.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

it is like the benefits system — there will be a minority that abuse it, but overall it is doing good.

Don't let the tiny minority affect helping the folk that do need it. If you can deal with the dishonest minority then great, but if not then don’t let that stop the good work helping the folk that are desperate and absolutely do need it.

Yeah, you are correct.

I really need to stop being so cynical.