Dem Blades v Spurs.

1 hour ago, Alextopman said:

You started the season level.

Despite still retaining a full head of ( grey ) hair in my dotage I feel inclined to comment on this ' two bald men arguing over possession of a comb ' thread.

It is good to know that our abysmal performances have brought some degree of comfort to some of our fellow Sheffielders who have had to live with their clubs failure to make an appearance in the top division for a quarter of a century, and also watch them relegated to the third tier of the football league on three occasions during that time.

Sheffield football fortunes are cyclical for both clubs, they tend to go from bad to worse 🙄. Unless something significant happens down at the Lane before the start of next season I believe we'll struggle.

In my opinion we need a new owner who shows some ambition and personally I'd prefer a new manager. Wilder was great for us during his first period but I don't think he's the same now. Hopefully I'm wrong on that, but I'm not convinced he's the man to revamp the squad and motivate us next season.

Providing Wednesday retain Kohl and Chansiri backs him they appear to be on the right track.

5 minutes ago, m williamson said:

Despite still retaining a full head of ( grey ) hair in my dotage I feel inclined to comment on this ' two bald men arguing over possession of a comb ' thread.

It is good to know that our abysmal performances have brought some degree of comfort to some of our fellow Sheffielders who have had to live with their clubs failure to make an appearance in the top division for a quarter of a century, and also watch them relegated to the third tier of the football league on three occasions during that time.

Sheffield football fortunes are cyclical for both clubs, they tend to go from bad to worse 🙄. Unless something significant happens down at the Lane before the start of next season I believe we'll struggle.

In my opinion we need a new owner who shows some ambition and personally I'd prefer a new manager. Wilder was great for us during his first period but I don't think he's the same now. Hopefully I'm wrong on that, but I'm not convinced he's the man to revamp the squad and motivate us next season.

Providing Wednesday retain Kohl and Chansiri backs him they appear to be on the right track.

You're probably not going to get an outsider coming on here, SF, commenting about the state of football in Sheffield but if one did, they might say, 

Sheffield football.  The spiritual home of football.  The place of the World's to oldest clubs.  The place that wrote the rules.  The place that allowed a city over the other side of the Pennines to have the National Football Museum. 

The place of two mediocre football clubs that promise much but never deliver & run by two Chairman that are constantly at odds with the supporters. 

Sheffield?  Where did it all go wrong? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

You're probably not going to get an outsider coming on here, SF, commenting about the state of football in Sheffield but if one did, they might say, 

Sheffield football.  The spiritual home of football.  The place of the World's to oldest clubs.  The place that wrote the rules.  The place that allowed a city over the other side of the Pennines to have the National Football Museum. 

The place of two mediocre football clubs that promise much but never deliver & run by two Chairman that are constantly at odds with the supporters. 

Sheffield?  Where did it all go wrong? 

Couldn't agree more. How many people outside Sheffield are aware of this city's part in the creation of association football, the most popular game in the world?   

Yorkshire County Cricket Club was originally formed in Sheffield at the Adelphy Hotel and played at Bramall Lane. England itself first came into existence in Dore Village, a Sheffield suburb.  Take a look at the Massive monument erected to commemorate this historic occasion.https://dorevillage.co.uk/pages/a-brief-history-of-dore#:~:text=The written history of Dore,Our Lord of the whole

It's become a Sheffield tradition " don't blow your own trumpet ".  Other parts of this country with less to brag about don't seem to have that much trouble shouting about their achievments.  This city needs to promote itself more, then perhaps both clubs might attract some serious investment. The Blades, the oldest club in the world to be named United, The Owls, the only club in the world to be named after a day in the week.

An advertising companies dream 🤣

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, m williamson said:

Couldn't agree more. How many people outside Sheffield are aware of this city's part in the creation of association football, the most popular game in the world?   

Yorkshire County Cricket Club was originally formed in Sheffield at the Adelphy Hotel and played at Bramall Lane. England itself first came into existence in Dore Village, a Sheffield suburb.  Take a look at the Massive monument erected to commemorate this historic occasion.https://dorevillage.co.uk/pages/a-brief-history-of-dore#:~:text=The written history of Dore,Our Lord of the whole

It's become a Sheffield tradition " don't blow your own trumpet ".  Other parts of this country with less to brag about don't seem to have that much trouble shouting about their achievments.  This city needs to promote itself more, then perhaps both clubs might attract some serious investment. The Blades, the oldest club in the world to be named United, The Owls, the only club in the world to be named after a day in the week.

An advertising companies dream 🤣

1867   that was another historical day .   

3 hours ago, m williamson said:

For years on this section,Unitedites have lorded it over Wednesdayites …..if you or anyone else of red & persuasion ,find it hard to understand why Wednesdayites are giving a little bit back after the season you’ve just endured then maybe it’s not the section for you or them eh ? 

12 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

1867   that was another historical day .   

Sad but true.

Not everything in this wonderful city's history has been positive.  In 1646 parliament ordered Sheffield castle to be destroyed because of our support for the royalist cause. Then during the French revolution Sheffield had sympathy for the French republican movement.  It was regarded with suspicion by the establishment as a result.

Then came that dreadful day you mention in 1867, when an unfaithful child was born,  😒

The saving grace came in 1889 when that 1867 lot had deserted the city and were replaced by the always faithful Sheffield  United a club formed using the city name from its conception. Having decided to leave the city and only returning by boundary expansion the 1887 lot were less than convincing. Not using the city name in the title of the club until 40 years after dem Blades emphasised the point.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sheridan1-0 said:

For years on this section,Unitedites have lorded it over Wednesdayites …..if you or anyone else of red & persuasion ,find it hard to understand why Wednesdayites are giving a little bit back after the season you’ve just endured then maybe it’s not the section for you or them eh ? 

Lording it over you lot? The only comments I've seen have been in response to Owls boasting about how superior they are.  Generally speaking Blades don't give a rats derriere what supporters of other clubs think of us, being a Blade is all that counts.

We don't regard ourselves as owt special, but it's immaterial because supporting United is enough and all that matters.

A large percentage of Owls on the other hand appear to be really concerned as to how they're viewed by other clubs supporters.

I've no idea as to why that is, but that's the way it comes across. 

• Like 1