French police shoot dead man trying to burn down synagogue

On 17/05/2024 at 12:36, Al Bundy said:

France certainly seems to have more attacks to do with religion than other European countries.

The  French Republic’s constitution doesn’t cope well with diversity. It’s attitude to religion was shaped during and after the Revolution mainly in relation to the Catholic Church.  There’s  also more racism in France than UK.  Political Islam is obviously a factor. 

On 19/05/2024 at 07:14, Ridgewalk said:

I agree the words  Nazi and Fascist are bandied about willy nilly.  They are emotive words which Zionists use habitually to negate criticism of Israeli policy and Israel’s behaviour towards Palestinians. The words »antisemitism » and «Holocaust « have been weaponised to good effect by Zionists and supporters of Israel. It’s been very effective, most notably against Jeremy Corbyn and the Labour Party when he was leader. Paradoxically since Starmer has been leader he has expelled  more Jewish members than any other leader in Labour history simply because they’re anti Zionist Jews and actively supported Jeremy Corbyn. 

The best description of Israeli policy in my opinion is settler colonialism, it’s beyond apartheid. 

Probably more akin to what happened historically in Australia and the US.

South Africa has taken its accusation of genocide to the ICJ for the second time. I watched a South African lawyer present its  case on  You Tube this morning. 

Totally agree with that. 

• Like 1

On 17/05/2024 at 13:50, Ridgewalk said:

The French popular media, and politics seems fuelled by identity politics. 

The nature of the Republican Constitution doesn’t sit well with diversity and especially religion.

I’ve just left France and the motorways had loads of Police and military on them 

More to do with (France prison van attack: 'Unprecedented' manhunt for escaped prisoner (bbc.com)) than identity politics.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, L00b said:

Not sure what an escaped prisoner has to do with identity politics ?  « Some » tv/radio/journals channels seem obsessed with identity politics to me, eg Europe 1, CNEWS, Journal de Dimanche. 

To be Muslim/arab is to be distrusted. Zemmour, Reconquête, RN. 
Being French (I believe), I’m sure you’ll know what I mean. 

6 hours ago, Ridgewalk said:

Not sure what an escaped prisoner has to do with identity politics ?

What L00b was saying was that the prison van attack and subsequent manhunt the likely reason for you seeing loads of police and military on the motorways.

16 hours ago, Longcol said:

What L00b was saying was that the prison van attack and subsequent manhunt the likely reason for you seeing loads of police and military on the motorways.

Yes I appreciate that Longcol, I think I put the last sentence in as an afterthought. I appreciate should perhaps have been a seperate message.

I’m currently in France and an avid news follower. Obviously I’m not privy to the vagaries of French intelligence but 14 vans of CRS and loads of other cops on a motorway in the Aude following an incident in the north and a criminal gang linked to Marseille presumably has another explanation. Who knows ? 

13 hours ago, melthebell said:

Anyway reading the title again, what's the point in shooting a dead man, and how does a dead man burn down a synagogue?

Nothing gets past you does it  mate 

• Haha 1

On 25/05/2024 at 16:57, Ridgewalk said:

Yes I appreciate that Longcol, I think I put the last sentence in as an afterthought. I appreciate should perhaps have been a seperate message.

I’m currently in France and an avid news follower. Obviously I’m not privy to the vagaries of French intelligence but 14 vans of CRS and loads of other cops on a motorway in the Aude following an incident in the north and a criminal gang linked to Marseille presumably has another explanation. Who knows ? 

Proximity to the Spanish border?

Been a couple of farmers blockades down that part of the country in the last couple of weeks - maybe intel of another?

Not a regular occurance on French motorways - most "policing" is done by speed camera.