Neoliberalism and the AI apocalypse

1 hour ago, cressida said:

If I was a billionaire I would scan the newspapers for genuine heartbreaking stories and try to bring some happiness to those down on their luck.

2 hours ago, redruby said:

Think about some of local benefactors like Graves.  

Most of the uber billionaires do lots of philanthropy and charity work and global projects and various foundation funds. 

Some even do it for decades. However, you very seldom hear about it. They do it for them, not for publicity or notoriety.  

Out of all the billionaires in the world, there is a reason why you have probably only ever heard of a tiny handful of them. 

It goes back to that old trope.  The ones who think they have money are the worst. Constantly showing off with their gaudy and tacky cars in bright green or gold-covered everything or the horrendous clothing logoed up to their eyeballs. Constantly being papped attending their book launches and flashy dinners and parties with their celeb-filled crowds whilst begging for 'charity' donations from the masses through their Instagram stunts or flashy YouTube videos or publicity whilst at the same time bullying their way around with their entourage falling out of nightclubs smashed out of their heads. 

However, the ones with the real money are those who you could walk past in the street and not even notice. The ones who are driving very expensive but very subtle cars. The ones who are wearing their very expensive, hand made, tailored but very ordinary looking clothing. The ones who will generally hang around a certain square mile in London sat quietly in the corner of some chic restaurant or drinking a very fine wine in a bar who you coild sit next to and not know if they've got a tenner in their back pocket or three grand. They are the ones doing the real philanthropic work. The ones who are acting as trustees or board members of certain key charities. The ones who are buying entire up hospital wings or purchasing vast amounts of drilling equipment for wells in Africa. The ones whose companies are quietly doing millions of pounds of pro bono work for projects or organisations....

If I was ever in such a privileged position to have that amount of wealth, I will very much firmly be in the second camp.  Why would I want the constant intrusion and publicity and discussion from random strangers demanding what I should be doing with my own money. Why would they want to deal with a constant begging and criticism and entitlement from others. The constant drama about why one is supporting X when they could be supporting.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

Most of the uber billionaires do lots of philanthropy and charity work and global projects and various foundation funds. 

Some even do it for decades. However, you very seldom hear about it. They do it for them, not for publicity or notoriety.  

Out of all the billionaires in the world, there is a reason why you have probably only ever heard of a tiny handful of them. 

It goes back to that old trope.  The ones who think they have money are the worst. Constantly showing off with their gaudy and tacky cars in bright green or gold-covered everything or the horrendous clothing logoed up to their eyeballs. Constantly being papped attending their book launches and flashy dinners and parties with their celeb-filled crowds whilst begging for 'charity' donations from the masses through their Instagram stunts or flashy YouTube videos or publicity whilst at the same time bullying their way around with their entourage falling out of nightclubs smashed out of their heads. 

However, the ones with the real money are those who you could walk past in the street and not even notice. The ones who are driving very expensive but very subtle cars. The ones who are wearing their very expensive, hand made, tailored but very ordinary looking clothing. The ones who will generally hang around a certain square mile in London sat quietly in the corner of some chic restaurant or drinking a very fine wine in a bar who you coild sit next to and not know if they've got a tenner in their back pocket or three grand. They are the ones doing the real philanthropic work. The ones who are acting as trustees or board members of certain key charities. The ones who are buying entire up hospital wings or purchasing vast amounts of drilling equipment for wells in Africa. The ones whose companies are quietly doing millions of pounds of pro bono work for projects or organisations....

If I was ever in such a privileged position to have that amount of wealth, I will very much firmly be in the second camp.  Why would I want the constant intrusion and publicity and discussion from random strangers demanding what I should be doing with my own money. Why would they want to deal with a constant begging and criticism and entitlement from others. The constant drama about why one is supporting X when they could be supporting.

I’ve never seen a very expensive but subtle car or a very expensive, hand made, tailored but very ordinary looking item of clothing. Could you give me some examples please?

On one of my facebook accounts im getting a lot of posts from Mollie Marriot (steve marriot of The small faces etc) railing against people, lead by his former wife (of only 2 years) are going to use AI to recreate his voice to make new songs :(

surely this is a copyright issue, likeness and voice should come under copyright the same as nicking songs, or bits of songs

5 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

I’ve never seen a very expensive but subtle car or a very expensive, hand made, tailored but very ordinary looking item of clothing. Could you give me some examples please?

:rolleyes: Why , just why ?

1 minute ago, melthebell said:

On one of my facebook accounts im getting a lot of posts from Mollie Marriot (steve marriot of The small faces etc) railing against people, lead by his former wife (of only 2 years) are going to use AI to recreate his voice to make new songs :(

surely this is a copyright issue, likeness and voice should come under copyright the same as nicking songs, or bits of songs

I think it does , or will . 

2 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

I think it does , or will . 

hopefully its something that gets added, its not right that anybody can get rich off somebody elses voice, likeness against them or their families wishes. yet somebody can be pulled up for using a 2 second sample.

1 minute ago, melthebell said:

hopefully its something that gets added, its not right that anybody can get rich off somebody elses voice, likeness against them or their families wishes. yet somebody can be pulled up for using a 2 second sample.

:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1