Neoliberalism and the AI apocalypse

3 minutes ago, pfifes said:

If you’re really interested the amount of sewage  pollution in rivers why don’t you google it?   If you don’t know what happens if poo poos go into rivers, why not google it?  If you didn’t know about what might happen to you if you drink water with poo poo in it, just google it!  

But I’m sure you’re right, nothing to see here. Everything is just absolutely FINE!  Anything in the news about increasing sewage in rivers is just hysterical made up nonsense.

You made the claim - it is up to you to provide the evidence.

45 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

You made the claim - it is up to you to provide the evidence.

Yes but I changed my mind and realised you were right!  There is no problem with sewage going into rivers, that’s just a lot of made up nonsense in the press.  And even if there’s poo in the water, so what!  It won’t do any harm!

2 hours ago, pfifes said:

Aye, you’re right.  Nothing to see here.  Poo poo in rivers?  Yep, never did anyone any harm. Good for the immune system I’m sure.  Like in the good old days.  There was a lot of fuss and nonsense about a cryptosporidium outbreak in the news recently.  Bring it on I say, it’ll do us good.

Like back in 2010 you mean?  

Who were in government up until May that year?

Just now, Al Bundy said:

Like back in 2010 you mean?  

Who were in government up until May that year?

Oh no.  The I meant the real good old days! Victorian times.  They didn’t worry about 💩in the water! People were tough then, not namby pambys expecting clean water. 

Newsnight, BBC2, Friday 17 May, 10:30pm

In his terrifying analysis of the dangers inherent in the continuing development of artificial intelligence, former Vice President of google, Geoffrey Hinton makes his fears very clear. And in the process he shows how neoliberals imperil the very democratic process they claim to embrace, thus paving the way for the far right that are already destabilising so-called 'Western' values.

Geoffrey Hinton: Yes, I'm very worried about AI taking over lots of mundane jobs, and that should be a good thing. It's going to lead to a big increase in productivity, which leads to a big increase in wealth, and if that wealth was equally distributed that would be great, but it's not going to be. In the systems we live in [i.e. neoliberalism] that wealth is going to go to the rich and not to the people whose jobs get lost, and that's going to be very bad for society I believe.

Then Hinton goes on to raise one of his own particular fears:

Geoffrey Hinton: It's going to increase the gap between rich and poor, which increases the chances of right wing populists getting elected.

In Aaron Bastani's NovaraMedia discussion with public intellectual John Gray, available on YouTube and titled Everything You Know About The Future is Wrong, this point is made clear:

John Gray: What they cannot understand and will never understand is what they, and other liberals call 'populism' is political blowback against the social disruption that their policies have produced. They can't understand the connection between what they've done and populism.

https://novaramedia.com/2023/10/22/philosophys-biggest-pessi

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

You know I always used to think there was a happy medium with germs.  Excessively blitzing every surface with anti bacterials and constant sanitising was a no no because we need come exposure to germs for good health.  But no washing hands after the toilet or spitting in public were nasty, dirty habits that spread germs.  And sewage in rivers would make people very poorly. But now, hmmm maybe they should just release all that poo poo that’s flushed down toilets into our rivers and we’ll have a super robust immune system and be healthier.  Makes you wonder why they ever built sewerage systems in the first place 💩💩💩