Neoliberalism and the AI apocalypse

6 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

So what?  What the hell has it got to do with you or anyone else.  As long as their actions are legal, they are perfectly entitled to do what they want with their own money

I find this totally unwarranted demands for public vision and continual scrutiny alongside a healthy dose of emotional blackmail disgraceful.

Let's have a look at all your bank statements shall we? How much cash have you got in your back pocket? When was the last time you did a big withdrawal or purchase? What house are you living in? What car do you drive? Where'd you get your clothes from? How much do you spend on food? When did you last donate to charity?  When did you last do your volunteer work?.....  How dare you live in a house like that. How dare you be surrounded by modern technology and comforts.... Do you not know that people are starving in Africa and living on the streets in filth in India slums? No power, no electricity, no utilities, no fresh water. You're a disgrace. You are totally privileged and out of touch. You have no idea how the real world is. You should be giving away at least half your money.........  

What's that?  You have an ISA account. You have a pension.... Tax dodging scum.

See. It's all relative.  How'd you like it.  

Why do those who have over some mythical threshold of wealth level be somehow forced to continually be exposed to public scrutiny about their money just to appease what appears to me to be a load of jealous individuals. 

You in your modest position are still 10x 20x 50x more wealthy and privileged than some third world mother walking miles to get fresh water or some far eastern worker slaving away for pennies a day in a factory making the bargain clothing which is on your back right now.  Should they have a right to be hounding and shaming and demanding you give chunks of your money away.  

Have a read of this  https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/may/21/festival-super-rich-jet-taxes-britain-labour-inequality

43 minutes ago, redruby said:

Really?  Well you spend an awful lot of time on here.  Far more than me and all through the day it seems so you can’t be very busy in the ‘corporate sector’.  Even if you are semi retired I wouldn’t have thought anyone with a pension from a supposedly high flying corporate career dealing with multinational companies would want to spend so much time on here.  I thought they might want meet their chums at the golf club or jet off somewhere exotic a bit more often.

Do you not have days off, breaks, downtime or travel periods in your job then?  

I am more than capable of responding to posts and engaging in a debate in between my work. 

The snarky stereotyping and what you believe the corporate world is in your post goes to my point.  People making ill informed presumptions.  

10 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Do you not have days off, breaks, downtime or travel periods in your job then?  

I am more than capable of responding to posts and engaging in a debate in between my work. 

The snarky stereotyping and what you believe the corporate world is in your post goes to my point.  People making ill informed presumptions.  

Of course.  But that’s dipping in now and then rather entire days.  And it’s not my idea for a fun ‘day off’ to spend an entire day on here.  And I don’t think the average high flying corporate executive who deals with ‘multinational companies’ would either 😂

Anyway, the game is up with that final paragraph which comes across as so ridiculous and pompous I don’t believe it for a minute.

1 hour ago, redruby said:

Of course.  But that’s dipping in now and then rather entire days.  And it’s not my idea for a fun ‘day off’ to spend an entire day on here.  And I don’t think the average high flying corporate executive who deals with ‘multinational companies’ would either 😂

Anyway, the game is up with that final paragraph which comes across as so ridiculous and pompous I don’t believe it for a minute.

Where the hell did I say I was an executive or high flying.   More nonsense you are making up. Obviously failing to note the 6 hour gap between my posts. You know when I've been doing that thing called work. 

But hey don't believe me - no skin off my nose. I know perfectly well what I do for a living. I know perfectly well who my clients are and stand by my points because some of us actually do know what we are talking about.  

5 hours ago, melthebell said:

Its like the P and O fiasco, they say they get away with paying a lesser minimum wage to those foriegners theyve taken on after sacking the workforce is cos they sail in international waters, surely it should go on where you are based? where your headquarters are?? for me thats common sense

Easier said than done when you are operating vessels across the globe with multinational crew originating and living in  101 different countries each week wildly different currency valuations, taxes, cost of living, cost of accommodation....  

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Easier said than done when you are operating vessels across the globe with multinational crew originating and living in  101 different countries each week wildly different currency valuations, taxes, cost of living, cost of accommodation....  

Its a British company based in Southampton, it should go on where its based like i said

P&O Cruises is a British cruise line based at Carnival House in Southampton, England, operated by Carnival UK and owned by Carnival Corporation & plc

astronauts dont go on interstellar mimimum wages ;)

the rest of it are just excuses

Edited by melthebell

11 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Its a British company based in Southampton, it should go on where its based like i said

But it's not though.

It's a subsidiary company among many other subsidiary companies under a conglomerate owned by an Emirati and based in Dubai which is operating vessels registered as far and wide as Cyprus, The Bahamas, Finland, The Netherlands and Malta.

We are well and truly in a globalised economy and corporate structure is extremely complicated. 

19 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

I’ll never get my head around spending that much money on a polo shirt. If I could afford a Savile Row suit I'd be careful not to wear one when it’s raining heavily after what I’ve witnessed today as well.

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

Where the hell did I say I was an executive or high flying.   More nonsense you are making up. Obviously failing to note the 6 hour gap between my posts. You know when I've been doing that thing called work. 

But hey don't believe me - no skin off my nose. I know perfectly well what I do for a living. I know perfectly well who my clients are and stand by my points because some of us actually do know what we are talking about.  

Well you were clearly attempting to present yourself a as *very important person* in corporate business. But now you say you are not in a senior position.  And one who spends a significant portion of their day posting their right wing views on here.  Well, I think that all speaks loudly for itself.

4 minutes ago, redruby said:

Well you were clearly attempting to present yourself a as *very important person* in corporate business. But now you say you are not in a senior position.  And one who spends a significant portion of their day posting their right wing views on here.  Well, I think that all speaks loudly for itself.

As opposed to those who spend a significant portion of their day posting their left-wing views?

• Like 1