Neoliberalism and the AI apocalypse

20 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

I’ll never get my head around spending that much money on a polo shirt. If I could afford a Savile Row suit I'd be careful not to wear one when it’s raining heavily after what I’ve witnessed today as well.

I had to laugh when Rishi said in the pouring rain

"we have a plan" -

But not a plan to look out of the curtains, see that it's raining and take an umbrella with him 😆

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

As opposed to those who spend a significant portion of their day posting their left-wing views?

Not really.  I don’t try to pass myself off as something I am not.  A person with in-depth knowledge of the corporate world and the super rich. A person in business dealing with numerous multi national clients who is *in the know*………But then apparently is not actually in a senior position after all. 
I often don’t look at this for many days, weeks or even months and I think it’s time for another break now, there’s only so much ridiculous, pompous wind baggery I can take 😂.  

22 minutes ago, redruby said:

Not really.  I don’t try to pass myself off as something I am not.  A person with in-depth knowledge of the corporate world and the super rich. A person in business dealing with numerous multi national clients who is *in the know*………But then apparently is not actually in a senior position after all. 
I often don’t look at this for many days, weeks or even months and I think it’s time for another break now, there’s only so much ridiculous, pompous wind baggery I can take 😂.  

Are we seriously still doing this.

I'm a corporate lawyer who works for a global law firm.  I'm not a partner. I'm not chief of the executive board. I don't run our global headquarters. I'm just a lawyer like the other 1000+ lawyers in our company who act for multinational corporations in corporate, finance or employment disputes.   

I don't claim to know every single aspect about the world of global corporations nor do I claim to have personal intricate knowledge of every billionaire.  But my job of 20 plus years gives me a damn sight more insight and awareness into corporations, global markets and the realities of business compared to some of nonsense and totally wild presumptions posted by some on this thread. 

Now you can choose to believe what I am or not, but for god sake can we move on.

2 hours ago, Mister M said:

"we have a plan" -

But not a plan to look out of the curtains, see that it's raining and take an umbrella with him 😆

Even Tory commentators have said how little thought went into sunaks press conference and why nobody said maybe we should do it indoors, says it all

5 hours ago, redruby said:

Well you were clearly attempting to present yourself a as *very important person* in corporate business. But now you say you are not in a senior position.  And one who spends a significant portion of their day posting their right wing views on here.  Well, I think that all speaks loudly for itself.

As far as I am aware that's still legal.

7 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Are we seriously still doing this.

I'm a corporate lawyer who works for a global law firm.  I'm not a partner. I'm not chief of the executive board. I don't run our global headquarters. I'm just a lawyer like the other 1000+ lawyers in our company who act for multinational corporations in corporate, finance or employment disputes.   

I don't claim to know every single aspect about the world of global corporations nor do I claim to have personal intricate knowledge of every billionaire.  But my job of 20 plus years gives me a damn sight more insight and awareness into corporations, global markets and the realities of business compared to some of nonsense and totally wild presumptions posted by some on this thread. 

Now you can choose to believe what I am or not, but for god sake can we move on.

God help us 😱

12 hours ago, Mister M said:

"we have a plan" -

tx1klrfwfb0k.png

On 22/05/2024 at 17:42, ECCOnoob said:

You in your modest position are still 10x 20x 50x more wealthy and privileged than some third world mother walking miles to get fresh water or some far eastern worker slaving away for pennies a day in a factory making the bargain clothing which is on your back right now.  Should they have a right to be hounding and shaming and demanding you give chunks of your money away.  

Great point.

He/she should give his money to them, if he/she thinks this way.

No doubt they will say they give money to some charity every month. 

On 22/05/2024 at 21:21, melthebell said:

Its like the P and O fiasco, they say they get away with paying a lesser minimum wage to those foriegners theyve taken on after sacking the workforce is cos they sail in international waters, surely it should go on where you are based? where your headquarters are?? for me thats common sense

Companies pay people based on what they can to keep costs down, like any business.

If you owned a cruise firm, and were charging £10,000 a week, and paying  everyone 'good ethical' wages (which is another debate),

and my cruise firm were charging £5000 a week, and paying everyone 'local' wages, and both firms offered equally good services, whose firm do you think will succeed, and whose do you think will fail?

If you think you would win, tell me your firm how you would succeed, and tell me why?

19 hours ago, redruby said:

Well you were clearly attempting to present yourself a as *very important person* in corporate business. But now you say you are not in a senior position.  And one who spends a significant portion of their day posting their right wing views on here.  Well, I think that all speaks loudly for itself.

You need to read your own posts. If he or she is totally right wing, are you not totally left wing?

Your posts strike me as left wing and far less logical than this 'right-winger'.

18 hours ago, redruby said:

A hatred towards people with money. Otherwise you wouldn't have used the words 'super rich'

6 hours ago, BigPP said:

tx1klrfwfb0k.png

If he went out in the sun, people would say, he was overdressed. If he went out in the rain, they say he is mad. If he did this in the room in the house they would they he is in a room that tax payers paid for. 

There is literally no winning. Every argument is pointless. 

• Like 1

An example to give you, as a language student, and teacher of foreign languages: 

If you are from one of the 7 (UK, USA, AUS, NZ, CANADA, and 2 others that I forget), the wages are higher. 

Why?

It's supply and demand. If people want to learn English, they can buy lessons from people from every country in the world, but they aren't native speakers, and so they cheaper. I looked at the cheapest teacher of English on my teaching platform, and he charges £4 an hour (the cheapest allowed on the site), and I can't even understand his English. 

If anyone wants to learn Chinese, I am quite cheap (PM me! haha) , and I can teach basic Chinese. Can I charge as much as a native speaker and provide perfect lessons? No. Hence, I am cheap. 

14 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

Great point.

He/she should give his money to them, if he/she thinks this way.

No doubt they will say they give money to some charity every month. 

Companies pay people based on what they can to keep costs down, like any business.

If you owned a cruise firm, and were charging £10,000 a week, and paying  everyone 'good ethical' wages (which is another debate),

and my cruise firm were charging £5000 a week, and paying everyone 'local' wages, and both firms offered equally good services, whose firm do you think will succeed, and whose do you think will fail?

If you think you would win, tell me your firm how you would succeed, and tell me why?

You need to read your own posts. If he or she is totally right wing, are you not totally left wing?

Your posts strike me as left wing and far less logical than this 'right-winger'.

A hatred towards people with money. Otherwise you wouldn't have used the words 'super rich'

If he went out in the sun, people would say, he was overdressed. If he went out in the rain, they say he is mad. If he did this in the room in the house they would they he is in a room that tax payers paid for. 

There is literally no winning. Every argument is pointless. 

Yes pal, and we’ve be living this neoliberal dream for a long time now.  What do have to show for it?  Pot holes and rivers contaminated with sewage are not things any of us want I don’t think.  
Understanding the mechanisms of neoliberalism is a different thing to wanting something better.