The Leadmill: Court Case to Decide Fate of Iconic Sheffield Nightclub. UPDATE: Adjourned

Ripping out the bogs and dancefloor sounds much more like spite than anything else.

They have no value for resale and the act of removal would likely cause significant damage.

19 minutes ago, geared said:

Ripping out the bogs and dancefloor sounds much more like spite than anything else.

They have no value for resale and the act of removal would likely cause significant damage.

I dunno... didn't you see the money made from the auction of such things after The Hacienda closed? I know someone who has one of the urinals from it. 🤣

The Leadmill themselves recently covered a lot of the cost of the current dancefloor by selling off chunks of the old one - I've got a piece of it at home (you can still buy guitars made from the old dancefloor, I believe).

• Like 1

All seems truly bizarre case to me. 

I admit I've not really been following the story closely but so much doesn't make sense. As far as I can see the ledmill operators are merely tenants. The landlord (who also just happens to own a nightclub type business wants them out to continue  a club business but under his own terms and own branding).  On a basic level, that's surely perfectly acceptable when THEY own the building.

I really don't understand how the ledmill  operators as merely tenants can be behaving so petulantly and almost aggressively about something which they don't even possess or own.  Even more bizarre when they seemingly are bringing human rights arguments into it as if they've got some moral campaign to support all business tenants. That's quite some arrogance there.

Much as I appreciate the ledmill has some  legacy in the city, those memories are predominantly from increasingly ageing population who probably haven't been to a club in the past decade.   Wonder how many of the star names and big champions of the place will be known to the latest generation of clubbers.

If all these music greats loved the place so much as they claim to support, I'm sure they could have easily scraped enough money together to buy out the current lease 10 times over. 

i love the leadmill as its very different went to a great gig and it was  a great band ,age group being mainly 30-70 plus ,and it was a great night, but many said how great we had been treated,plus as leaving they had many young people coming in till say 4am and i thought what a business ,cater for the older then get fresh young customers later,to me thats good business

4 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

All seems truly bizarre case to me. 

I admit I've not really been following the story closely but so much doesn't make sense. As far as I can see the ledmill operators are merely tenants. The landlord (who also just happens to own a nightclub type business wants them out to continue  a club business but under his own terms and own branding).  On a basic level, that's surely perfectly acceptable when THEY own the building.

I really don't understand how the ledmill  operators as merely tenants can be behaving so petulantly and almost aggressively about something which they don't even possess or own.  Even more bizarre when they seemingly are bringing human rights arguments into it as if they've got some moral campaign to support all business tenants. That's quite some arrogance there.

Much as I appreciate the ledmill has some  legacy in the city, those memories are predominantly from increasingly ageing population who probably haven't been to a club in the past decade.   Wonder how many of the star names and big champions of the place will be known to the latest generation of clubbers.

If all these music greats loved the place so much as they claim to support, I'm sure they could have easily scraped enough money together to buy out the current lease 10 times over. 

I read somewhere that under the Leadmill a lease they are allowed to remove all fixtures and fittings to leave it in the state they got it in which was an empty warehouse and the new owner is. Complaining that it would cost them £4million plus to reinstate.

The Leadmill people have spent their own money over the last nearly 40 years so I personally think that they should just remove their fixtures and fittings which they are entitled to and just move on

10 hours ago, mafya said:

I read somewhere that under the Leadmill a lease they are allowed to remove all fixtures and fittings to leave it in the state they got it in which was an empty warehouse and the new owner is. Complaining that it would cost them £4million plus to reinstate.

The Leadmill people have spent their own money over the last nearly 40 years so I personally think that they should just remove their fixtures and fittings which they are entitled to and just move on

or just come to a financial agreement?

If it's going to be multiple millions to redo the club, then come to an agreement to sell everything to the landlord and/or a licence deal for the Leadmill name (which is trademarked)

Trouser a big chunk of money and enjoy retirement somewhere with a better climate.

10 hours ago, mafya said:

I havent seen that the new owner is complaining about the cost. It is The Leadmill's legal team who have costed the renovations (should they remove everything if they have to leave) and Electric Group's legal team have said they have access to funds to do the work.

The complaint from Electric Group's legal team seems to be that the threat of remiving walls and ceilings on exit is excessive.