Old HSBC Bank on Hillsborough Corner

True, but without any parking whatsoever, how do you move in, where is the removals lorry supposed to park, how do you receive deliveries from Amazon or supermarkets, where are tradespeople supposed to stop if you need them.... it's more than just having somewhere to park a car !

I've used the bank in the past to pay in money. I don't imagine those notes are still there in the cellar, so how did Securicor or similar manage to take them away

26 minutes ago, HallamGirl said:

True, but without any parking whatsoever, how do you move in, where is the removals lorry supposed to park, how do you receive deliveries from Amazon or supermarkets, where are tradespeople supposed to stop if you need them.... it's more than just having somewhere to park a car !

My point precisely.....

2 hours ago, HallamGirl said:

None of those things have to park immediately outside?! It tends to work fine in many communities across the world where no immediate parking is available.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hopman said:

I've used the bank in the past to pay in money. I don't imagine those notes are still there in the cellar, so how did Securicor or similar manage to take them away

I started my career at HSBC with Midland Bank (as it was then) and had to work 4 months of my probation in that branch. I promise you the Securicor guys were in and out within 5 minutes, if that, probably parking in Rudyard Road across the main road. It's hardly the same as a half or full day moving someone in with beds and wardrobes and having to dodge 2 lanes of traffic and live tram tracks with bulky furniture to get to the flat's entrance.

I'm not disagreeing with the premise of redeveloping the site, far from it, but I do think it's a struggle when you've nowhere to unload. I saw a few follow up points saying it happens all over the world; well I'd say pretty much every apartment site has a service entrance (ground level or underground), for dealing with refuse, unloading, deliveries etc. which wouldn't be available here, that's the point I was making.

54 minutes ago, HallamGirl said:

I started my career at HSBC with Midland Bank (as it was then) and had to work 4 months of my probation in that branch. I promise you the Securicor guys were in and out within 5 minutes, if that, probably parking in Rudyard Road across the main road. It's hardly the same as a half or full day moving someone in with beds and wardrobes and having to dodge 2 lanes of traffic and live tram tracks with bulky furniture to get to the flat's entrance.

I'm not disagreeing with the premise of redeveloping the site, far from it, but I do think it's a struggle when you've nowhere to unload. I saw a few follow up points saying it happens all over the world; well I'd say pretty much every apartment site has a service entrance (ground level or underground), for dealing with refuse, unloading, deliveries etc. which wouldn't be available here, that's the point I was making.

Don't you think that all of those things will have been considered when the planning application to convert its use was assumingly granted. 

The point the I was making is that lots of buildings don't have purpose-built access points. Some aren't even anywhere near a road.  They make provisions for such things all the time. 

The Rawson Spring, for example, has to receive constant deliveries and will do so via Walkley Lane.  There is a bus pull in a few meters round the corner on either side of these apartments that could be utilised temporarily. I'm sure people who need to worry about such things will figure it out as they've done many times before.

2 hours ago, HallamGirl said:

How do you think it was ever kitted out when it was a bank, and refurbished occasionally?

Or how they cleared it all out to shell it ready to sell? Or how is it going to be converted to flats? All the building materials delivered and fitted? Kitchens and bathrooms delivered, etc?

There’s always a way. You don’t need immediate vehicle access to anywhere really.

13 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

How do you think it was ever kitted out when it was a bank, and refurbished occasionally?

Or how they cleared it all out to shell it ready to sell? Or how is it going to be converted to flats? All the building materials delivered and fitted? Kitchens and bathrooms delivered, etc?

There’s always a way. You don’t need immediate vehicle access to anywhere really.

I live on rudyard road and i see it every day, the contractors park up on rudyard unload their gear/tools and some then park in morrisons car park,others ride their luck and hope parking services dont come round. As for deliveries the same as above, or small vans park on the footpath on the bridge unload and leave.

• Like 1