Hornblower Pub

• 2 months later...

I supped at this pub in the early 90's, but I remember it best from the early 70's when it was called The Raven( Whitbread), when Lol and Madge ran it.I went in most Friday lunchtimes..payday. I first went up the road to The Beehive(Tetley)pub to buy a sandwich, then fill it with loads of stuff from a lazy susan that was set up on a table close to the bar.I then bagged-up the sandwich(usually Cheese),then made my way to The Raven.

In The Raven I ordered(requested)a pint of Whitbread Trophy,sometimes a shandy if the weather was hot.I'd then go into the concert room,then feed the jukebox.My music selection always included the ballad Bridge over Troubled Water,by Simon and Carbuncle.Listening to this song whilst munching my sarnie and supping my pint was sheer bliss.

BTW.I worked at the ironmongers shop next door...Neville Watts,owned by Mr.Vernon Outram. I worked there for 1 year and a week.Years later the shop became the 8 Ball bar,before West One was built.Other ironmonger shops in Sheffield were Constantines on Carver Street and Shaw's on Duchess Road.

Enough info I hope.

On 09/08/2024 at 19:34, zakes said:

I supped at this pub in the early 90's, but I remember it best from the early 70's when it was called The Raven( Whitbread), when Lol and Madge ran it.I went in most Friday lunchtimes..payday. I first went up the road to The Beehive(Tetley)pub to buy a sandwich, then fill it with loads of stuff from a lazy susan that was set up on a table close to the bar.I then bagged-up the sandwich(usually Cheese),then made my way to The Raven.

In The Raven I ordered(requested)a pint of Whitbread Trophy,sometimes a shandy if the weather was hot.I'd then go into the concert room,then feed the jukebox.My music selection always included the ballad Bridge over Troubled Water,by Simon and Carbuncle.Listening to this song whilst munching my sarnie and supping my pint was sheer bliss.

BTW.I worked at the ironmongers shop next door...Neville Watts,owned by Mr.Vernon Outram. I worked there for 1 year and a week.Years later the shop became the 8 Ball bar,before West One was built.Other ironmonger shops in Sheffield were Constantines on Carver Street and Shaw's on Duchess Road.

Enough info I hope.

Hello there. Where did you work after Neville Watts?