How 'Cheap' Are you?

Don’t get this thing where very wealthy people buy a watch for £15,000. Usually read about well paid footballers buying stuff like that. There was reputedly a former  Man City player , Italian, a few years ago who just used to buy expensive cars and just abandon them in the city when he got fed up. 

I grew up in a family where nothing was wasted.  If a jumper had worn thin and couldn't be repaired anymore, we'd cut the thin bits out. My nan would then unravel the good wool and pass it to my mum who'd hold it taut over the steam from the kettle to get the kinks out so it was easier to knit. Mum would then pass the wool to me to roll up into a ball. The bits which were salvaged would then go to make a smaller item. Even short pieces were saved, they could be used for a stripy scarf or tea cosy or a pompom for a child's hat.  Same with material. If mum's dress was past it she'd salvage what she could to make a dress or skirt for me.  She'd choose the material for her dresses with care, making sure it was plain or only had a small print. That way it would still look OK for a child's dress. And when my skirt was past it, the material might well end up being used to make a cage tidy for the budgie or something like that.  Having been brought up like that it's hard to get out of that mindset. I wouldn't say I was tight, because I don't mind paying for good quality stuff, but I do make things last for donkeys years.  The  over production and "fast fashion" that you get nowadays, where millions of tonnes are just dumped or burned really gets my goat. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Slighty batty said:

I grew up in a family where nothing was wasted.  If a jumper had worn thin and couldn't be repaired anymore, we'd cut the thin bits out. My nan would then unravel the good wool and pass it to my mum who'd hold it taut over the steam from the kettle to get the kinks out so it was easier to knit. Mum would then pass the wool to me to roll up into a ball. The bits which were salvaged would then go to make a smaller item. Even short pieces were saved, they could be used for a stripy scarf or tea cosy or a pompom for a child's hat.  Same with material. If mum's dress was past it she'd salvage what she could to make a dress or skirt for me.  She'd choose the material for her dresses with care, making sure it was plain or only had a small print. That way it would still look OK for a child's dress. And when my skirt was past it, the material might well end up being used to make a cage tidy for the budgie or something like that.  Having been brought up like that it's hard to get out of that mindset. I wouldn't say I was tight, because I don't mind paying for good quality stuff, but I do make things last for donkeys years.  The  over production and "fast fashion" that you get nowadays, where millions of tonnes are just dumped or burned really gets my goat. 

It seems to me everything is now geared toward being a throwaway society. Things are not made to last anymore, when it’s wearing out throw it away and buy a new un seems to be the mindset today. No wonder various resources are running out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ridgewalk said:

Don’t get this thing where very wealthy people buy a watch for £15,000. Usually read about well paid footballers buying stuff like that. There was reputedly a former  Man City player , Italian, a few years ago who just used to buy expensive cars and just abandon them in the city when he got fed up. 

Mario Balotelli.

Proper nutcase.

• Like 1

I've always been careful with money, out of necessity. Because I'm not materialistic or aspirational, this has been fine. Recently though, I've been on a proper decent wage for the first time in my life (though trust me, there are plenty who'd think it wasn't worth getting out of bed for), and I've noticed that my old spending habits haven't really changed. I could go to the pub a lot more, buy some expensive clothes, drink £4 coffees or whatever, but I'm not interested. Really it's just buying or doing the same stuff but more expensive or more often - it doesn't make your life markedly better. I end every month in credit - give some away, save some.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ridgewalk said:

I’m not trendy enough to shop for clothes at Charity shops. And I live in Hoyland not Dore and Totley 

Are charity shops trendy though? I'm sure you must have charity shops in Hoyland, they're everywhere! :wink:

7 hours ago, spilldig said:

It's a good question this one and I don't really know the answer so I will have to let others decide.  We never waste food, everything we buy gets eaten which if you don't want to put weight on means we buy very little and we never eat out except on holidays. We don't have contracts on our smartphones,  everything is on PAYG.  £20 worth of credit does me for about 2 years everything else is on WiFi, no data. I don't insure anything that I don't have to because I look at insurance companies as con-merchants anyway.  We never get taxis if we can walk or catch a bus.  By the time I buy a new item of clothing, about every 10 or 12 years the old clothes are back in fashion again. We don't have netflix sky virgin or any other, as I see it, con-merchants also. On the other hand I don't mind spending a grand or two when it comes to holidays.

Quite a good frugality rating in my opinion! You're either a Yorkshire person or a Scot! :wink: 

8 hours ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

Sorry but I’m not into all this theory nonsense. I’ve followed my parents practical example all my life. Work hard, save up, buy things. Best I could afford. Also, I’ve never paid for owt in dollars. Pounds and pence works really well.

The quote is from A Terry Pratchett Discworld novel, they're hilarious! :D 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, El Cid said:

It is interesting to know what drives people. I like being frugal, it's not just about saving money, it's about being efficient.

I don't like to waste my money or the councils' money. I don't like to waste food, so I will eat someone else's food, rather than see it go in the bin....

My father-in-law couldn't stand to see food left on plates, he would have a go at snaffling it despite being well off in later life. He was made to clear his plate as a child, he came from a relatively poor family.  I sort of understand what you're saying about efficiency though, interesting point of view.