National Service for 18 year olds

6 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

I reckon it's true Bro.

War is coming. 

Of course I hope I'm wrong though 👍

Sir Keir seems a very cautious leader,  if war arrives while Labour is in power hopefully they'll cope.

10 hours ago, Baron99 said:

It's not going to happen although, just watched the BBC News & a number of teenagers were interviewed today at Manchester's Great Run & strangely, most were in favour of it.  Who'd have guessed it? 

They all can't have been Young Conservatives. 

If you only broadcast the results you want, you can make even Hitler seem popular here in the UK, it was the BBC after all.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cressida said:

Sir Keir seems a very cautious leader,  if war arrives while Labour is in power hopefully they'll cope.

Who are we going to war with, with selling arms to Ukraine, are we still best mates with Russia?

China is on the side of Russia these days, if war is on the horizon, we need to increase our food and energy independence, and troops come last.

2 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Who are we going to war with, with selling arms to Ukraine, are we still best mates with Russia?

China is on the side of Russia these days, if war is on the horizon, we need to increase our food and energy independence, and troops come last.

I agree we need to be more self sufficient. The days of invading other countries I feel are over. 

16 hours ago, HairFarceOne said:

Genuine question;

How many Forummers actually did National Service, and what was their experience?

As it finished in 1960 and the minimum age for conscription was 17, that would mean anybody who actually did it would be over 80 years old, so how was it?

And please, not some anecdotal experience of a bloke's, mate's uncle who knew a cousin twice removed.

1 here, in France. 96-97, had to go back and do it or would have been put on arrest warrant and then spend it in military nick.

Very much a waste of time.

• Like 1

I was all for national conscription, some 20 or 30 years ago, but TODAY, I have reservations, First, is time, 12 months is not long enough, it's all cost with little or no reward. Second is, with the unrest in the world, I seriously think this may be the thin end of the wedge, and very soon national conscription will apply to all fighting aged men and possibly. Women.

Though it may seem so, the next war and conflicts will not be about Religion, territory, or even Oil, it will be primarily be about and for DE-Population.

20 hours ago, RJRB said:

First Brexit,then Rwanda and now this.It might appeal to those who despair of the kids of today but just another nod to supposedly populist views and ultimately a vote loser. 

Absolutely agree

1 hour ago, hauxwell said:

I agree we need to be more self sufficient. The days of invading other countries I feel are over.

But the reason there will not be a war is that we rely on each other, a war would cause food and energy shortages. Manufacturers need tech and chips from around the world.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

If the USA uses weapons to defend Israel against Hamas,  & Iran are aware that the U.K.  and the U.S.  use each other's intelligence services - this makes us a target - it is Iran that is the main worry to our country imo.