Pulling out of your drive then Bang, a cyclist hits you....

Hypothetical question here. I've searched on Google but found conflicting information.

So, we have a driveway and the public footpath at the end is a shared cycle path. I'm helping the youngun with different situations to hopefully help her become a better/safer driver and the question "Who is at fault if a cyclist hits us whilst we are pulling out of the drive?"

I have a routine I do every time I leave the drive,

1, radio off

2, aircon off

3, both front windows down

4, slowly edge out and leave my drive.

For me this is adequate to ensure I don't hit any of the cyclists and battery scooters riders who whizz past our house but here's the question.

What if whilst partway out of the drive one of them hits the car? 

Who's at fault? I'd say it was the scooter/bike rider.

Would I be wrong in that assumption?

Your thoughts?

1 hour ago, The_DADDY said:

Hypothetical question here. I've searched on Google but found conflicting information.

So, we have a driveway and the public footpath at the end is a shared cycle path. I'm helping the youngun with different situations to hopefully help her become a better/safer driver and the question "Who is at fault if a cyclist hits us whilst we are pulling out of the drive?"

I have a routine I do every time I leave the drive,

1, radio off

2, aircon off

3, both front windows down

4, slowly edge out and leave my drive.

For me this is adequate to ensure I don't hit any of the cyclists and battery scooters riders who whizz past our house but here's the question.

Your thoughts?

sounds like its a question an insurer could argue over, probably end up both parties paying out their own costs, if any damage happens.

I've known some drivers give a couple of toots on the horn, when they don't have full visual exiting off a drive, country bend etc

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Slighty batty said:

I live abroad and maybe UK rules are different to ours, but over here the car driver would be at fault because traffic on publicly owned land always has priority over traffic leaving private land. 

Same here - users already on the public highway - pedestrains, cyclists, motorists - have priority over users entering the public highway. 

Pretty sure the same applies in the UK - it's just like entering a main road from a side road.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Cyclists are quite able to swerve out of the way, unless someone is going too fast.

• Thanks 1

Just now, El Cid said:

Cyclists are quite able to swerve out of the way, unless someone is going too fast.

Agreed. I make sure I'm going literally 1 to 2mph until the bumper of the car is over the drive boundary and then the path but the speed some of the bikes and scooters go is ridiculous. An accident waiting to happen and one I don't want me or my daughter to be part of 👍

4 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Agreed. I make sure I'm going literally 1 to 2mph until the bumper of the car is over the drive boundary and then the path but the speed some of the bikes and scooters go is ridiculous. An accident waiting to happen and one I don't want me or my daughter to be part of 👍

How far can you see in either direction when pulling out from your drive?

3 minutes ago, Longcol said:

How far can you see in either direction when pulling out from your drive?

On the right side we get a good view as the neighbours wall isn't a high one but the view of what's coming from the left is restricted by a large headge so view isn't great. I'm unable to get the hedge cut so I was thinking of installing one of those domed mirrors on my wall but I'd need permission from the landlord first. 

2 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

On the right side we get a good view as the neighbours wall isn't a high one but the view of what's coming from the left is restricted by a large headge so view isn't great. I'm unable to get the hedge cut so I was thinking of installing one of those domed mirrors on my wall but I'd need permission from the landlord first. 

Sounds a decent plan.

1 minute ago, Longcol said:

Sounds a decent plan.

Knowing my luck my landlord will say sure, do it. But I'll bugger up the angle and the sun will burn my home down.  A bit like Archimedes only not so clever 😬

• Haha 1