Pulling out of your drive then Bang, a cyclist hits you....

On 27/05/2024 at 22:24, El Cid said:

Cyclists are quite able to swerve out of the way, unless someone is going too fast.

Are children capable of swerving out of your way?

Are pedestrians capable of swerving out of your way?

Are motorcyclists capable of swerving out of your way?

Are motorists capable of swerving out of your way?

Do you expect cyclists, pedestrians, motorcyclists, motorists, lorries, etc. out of your way because you are unable to exit your drive safely?

Do you expect other road users to swerve into the path of other road users for your benefit?   

Such dangerous behaviour is why cyclists etc. should cycle in the middle of the lane when they are travelling in places where car doors can be opened and idiots reverse or come out blindly, rely on their horn etc.

PS Cyclists can't 'swerve'. You need more experience of what cyclists, pedestrians, motorcyclists, other motorists, lorries, delivery vans etc. have to deal with.

A passing thought; I appreciate that where you live appears to have a separate landlord.
Is there an official drop kerb where you exit?
When I applied for one, I recall I had to specify that there was adequate visibility in both directions.
Similarly a friend of mine has a garage opening directly onto the footway, but isn't allowed to use it for a car, due to limited visibility.
I'm also aware of folk who have to have an inward hinging, or sliding gate, so it doesn't open across the footway.

1 hour ago, peak4 said:

A passing thought; I appreciate that where you live appears to have a separate landlord.
Is there an official drop kerb where you exit?
When I applied for one, I recall I had to specify that there was adequate visibility in both directions.
Similarly a friend of mine has a garage opening directly onto the footway, but isn't allowed to use it for a car, due to limited visibility.
I'm also aware of folk who have to have an inward hinging, or sliding gate, so it doesn't open across the footway.

Yep. It's got the official drop kerb, it's got the white line, it's a drive that's been here longer than I've lived here.👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Are children capable of swerving out of your way?

Are pedestrians capable of swerving out of your way?

Are motorcyclists capable of swerving out of your way?

Are motorists capable of swerving out of your way?

Do you expect cyclists, pedestrians, motorcyclists, motorists, lorries, etc. out of your way because you are unable to exit your drive safely?

Do you expect other road users to swerve into the path of other road users for your benefit?   

Such dangerous behaviour is why cyclists etc. should cycle in the middle of the lane when they are travelling in places where car doors can be opened and idiots reverse or come out blindly, rely on their horn etc.

PS Cyclists can't 'swerve'. You need more experience of what cyclists, pedestrians, motorcyclists, other motorists, lorries, delivery vans etc. have to deal with.

Feel better? 🙄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

It’s down to me, even if the cyclist is at fault, motor vehicles can kill, cycles rarely do, if I killed a cyclist I would be devastated.

This is the exact message I give her. As irritating and reckless as some cyclists can be they do need protecting,  usually from themselves. 

• Like 2

If Car/Lorry drivers flouted the same Laws as cyclist we would really be in trouble ie, drivig along footpaths, driving through shopping precincts and driving around with no lights on,   a vast majority of Cyclist don't realise they can kill,  especially Children and OAPs.

1 hour ago, PRESLEY said:

If Car/Lorry drivers flouted the same Laws as cyclist we would really be in trouble ie, drivig along footpaths, driving through shopping precincts and driving around with no lights on,   a vast majority of Cyclist don't realise they can kill,  especially Children and OAPs.

I used to be all for chilren riding on the footpath until I was approaching a side road,  a young lad came whizzing round the corner and I managed to

sidestep in time,  a pensioner would have been knocked over.