Pulling out of your drive then Bang, a cyclist hits you....

6 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Are children capable of swerving out of your way?

Are pedestrians capable of swerving out of your way?

Are motorcyclists capable of swerving out of your way?

Are motorists capable of swerving out of your way?

Do you expect cyclists, pedestrians, motorcyclists, motorists, lorries, etc. out of your way because you are unable to exit your drive safely?

Do you expect other road users to swerve into the path of other road users for your benefit?   

Such dangerous behaviour is why cyclists etc. should cycle in the middle of the lane when they are travelling in places where car doors can be opened and idiots reverse or come out blindly, rely on their horn etc.

PS Cyclists can't 'swerve'. You need more experience of what cyclists, pedestrians, motorcyclists, other motorists, lorries, delivery vans etc. have to deal with.

No matter what they are driving or riding no one would have to swerve if they were aware of their surrounds hence potential hazzards and  going the correct speed.    Example  whilst driving along some people just concentrate on the vehical in front,  Wrong!  Two vehicles in front is the correct option.

• Like 1

At least one person has failed to read the opening post properly before typing a reply, so is it possible to look, but not see the obvious?
I'd suggest everyone reads this 2012 publication on a cycling website; it doesn't just apply to cyclists.
Whilst the thread started specifically about restricted vision, this article helps to explain why even a careful viewer can look, but not see something present even when vision is unobstructed. 
Note the dropbox link part way down the page, which takes you to a downloadable 11 page pdf. it's well worth reading; last time I checked it was free of any nasties.
Personally I think an appreciation of the content should be part of all driver training; maybe it is these days, I don't know, so perhaps someone currently learning to drive could tell us.

What an RAF pilot can teach us about being safe on the road The London Cyclist

This is a reasonable video from a driving instructor, but only covers road junctions, rather than crossing footways and cycle-paths.

See also Why Drivers Don't See Bikers, from the same instructor, which does cover Saccadic masking [Wiki]
I've yet to see an unbiassed presentation covering illegal e-bikes, and e-scooters, on cycle-paths and footways.

• Like 1