Mobile WiFi for a weekend caravan?

A friend has asked me to look into how they can get WiFi at their holiday caravan that they visit on the odd weekend.

Obviously because of this, a pay monthly deal is out of the question as a waste of money.

What other options can I suggest?

My first thoughts were for them to get more data on their phone and use it as a hotspot?

They could buy a MiFi unit that has a top up sim card, but it is fairly expensive for data top ups. I have a Huawei unit on EE that I bought for the same purpose,  but the data only lasts so long and if you don't topup before it runs out, you lose it. It would depend how often they would need to use it. 

Depending on what phone(s) they have, and the deal they're on - they may be able to just tether their phone to whatever device they wish to use by setting it up as a WiFi hotspot!

basically the same thing, without additional cost (provided you have enough included data)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, classicfan said:

They could buy a MiFi unit that has a top up sim card, but it is fairly expensive for data top ups. I have a Huawei unit on EE that I bought for the same purpose,  but the data only lasts so long and if you don't topup before it runs out, you lose it. It would depend how often they would need to use it. 

Really only the odd weekend here and there at the moment, so they could end up losing the topup.

10 hours ago, Ghozer said:

Depending on what phone(s) they have, and the deal they're on - they may be able to just tether their phone to whatever device they wish to use by setting it up as a WiFi hotspot!

basically the same thing, without additional cost (provided you have enough included data)

I did think that was the best solution.

I just need to double check with them what they're wanting the WiFi for... if it's light browsing them no worries, but if they're wanting to stream movies all night, it could be an issue with allowances.

Posted (edited)

Get a MiFi device and a GiffGaff sim.  They offer fixed length contracts, monthly rolling contracts and Pay as you Go.

I'd imagine your friend would most want Pay as you Go.   £20 buys 80GB of data. 

Netflix estimates you use 1GB of data per hour on a TV at standard definition, 3GB of data per hour in HD.

If you're viewing on a tablet you'll use about 0.3GB of data per hour.

Edited by geared