Are you fat Or are you living with overweight? 

1 minute ago, Mister M said:

No not really. 

If someone is at risk from an illness as a consequence of being over weight, such as diabetes, then that can be discussed with the health professional...

Not really sure why this is being framed as a 'political correctness' issue - oh it's the Daily Mail, that's why.

But it is a political correctness issue. 

19 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

It may seem a little brusk my post but I love me grub, I love stuff that's unhealthy, love fast food and all things bad but I know it's unhealthy and I know I pack the weight on if I eat crap, so I dont..... So why cant others?

Why do people smoke cigarettes when they know they're bad? Why do people get addicted to alcohol and become alcoholics, rather than enjoying it in moderation like most people? I'd suggest mental health problems, addictive behaviour, depression and escapism as the leading causes. Sometimes it's not as easy as saying "well if I can do it why can't they?". Most of the time you don't know what's going on in someone's life.

• Like 1

Nothing constructive to add, but the terminology "are you living with overweight" really winds me up. I even went as far as to enter it into an American spellchecker. No results. Whoever in the health service coined that phrase needs a sound talking to  before they resume caring for the people of this country. 

• Like 1

Has anybody actually checked on this, or are we just believing something the Daily Mail has put out there?

I can find NO official reference to 'living with overweight' on Government or NHS websites (except for in the context of it being mid-sentence).

There's plenty of references to 'living with obesity', which seems a more... regular... way of saying it.

Is this yet another case of the Mail making something from nothing to cause offence of the 'it's political correctness gone mad' brigade?!

2 hours ago, Vrsaljko said:

Why do people smoke cigarettes when they know they're bad? Why do people get addicted to alcohol and become alcoholics, rather than enjoying it in moderation like most people? I'd suggest mental health problems, addictive behaviour, depression and escapism as the leading causes. Sometimes it's not as easy as saying "well if I can do it why can't they?". Most of the time you don't know what's going on in someone's life.

Yes, i get that argument.

• Like 1

On 29/05/2024 at 18:07, SheffieldForum said:

Has anybody actually checked on this, or are we just believing something the Daily Mail has put out there?

I can find NO official reference to 'living with overweight' on Government or NHS websites (except for in the context of it being mid-sentence).

There's plenty of references to 'living with obesity', which seems a more... regular... way of saying it.

Is this yet another case of the Mail making something from nothing to cause offence of the 'it's political correctness gone mad' brigade?!

To be fair, it does occur, but as far as I can tell only in context, and in mid sentence, though I guess Google hasn't indexed the whole of the NHS website yet..

Risks of living with obesity   NHS
Obesity is a serious health concern that increases the risk of many other health conditions.

These include: type 2 diabetes, coronary heart disease, some types of cancer, such as breast cancer and bowel cancer, stroke
Living with overweight and obesity can also affect your quality of life and contribute to mental health problems, such as depression, and can also affect self-esteem.

Yes The Mail clearly has several agenda,  PC, NHS, Woke, and many others.
Of particular note is who they quote (as an expert??) the the next to last paragraph.
Christopher Snowdon, from the Institute for Economic Affairs, said that while terms like 'living with overweight' is portrayed as 'sensitive and politically correct', they actually present overweight and obese people as victims of a disease they 'can't do anything about', which Snowdon added was not helpful.
The IEA of course, whilst hiding behind hidden funding, also have an agenda or two.  DeSmog link
How to abolish the NHS  IEA Website

Matt Hancock took cash from ‘anti-NHS’ Institute of Economic Affairs  The Times via archive.ph, which is showing OK for me behind the paywall at the moment

Matt Hancock is under pressure to return donations from a think tank that criticised the NHS as “nothing special” and unworthy of the “adulation” it has received during the pandemic.
Since becoming an MP, the health secretary has received £32,000 from the chairman of the Institute of Economic Affairs (IEA), a right-wing body that has called for the NHS to be replaced with a privatised healthcare system.

Obviously a medical expert Christopher Snowdon is the Head of Lifestyle Economics at the IEA   IEA Website

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Snowdon Wiki
Christopher John Snowdon is a British author and freelance journalist. He is particularly known as a vocal opponent of government intervention in areas such as tobacco, alcohol, and obesity.

• Like 1