Phone chargers breaking

How long should a phone charger last?  After problems with cheap Poundland type ones I bought a branded one.  The connector that plugs into the phone broke off after a couple of months.  And I wasn’t being clumsy or heavy handed with it, this was just normal, careful use.  I bought another charger (again not a super cheapo one) and the wall plug part of it has stopped working after a few weeks. Again, just normal use.  I think it possibly overheated after having to charge the phone from about 4% (so more charging than normal) but surely it shouldn’t break that easily!!

I've had different mobile phones since I was around 14, I'm now 39... I've only had 1 charger break, and I think that was the socket on the phone itself, rather than the actual cable.

Perhaps you're just really unlucky?

On a related note, this is why I love the new advances in wireless charging, it means no chance of bending any connectors, you just put the phone on a pad and away you go.

11 minutes ago, pfifes said:

I’ve just found this which relates to the brand of chargers I’ve been using and it seems it’s not just me being unlucky.   I do take these reviews with a pinch of salt as they attract those with an axe to grind but ratio of bad to good reviews speaks volumes in this case I think!

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/juice.co.uk

I've never heard of this company, which probably also speaks volumes as I think I'm fairly on the ball when it comes to gadgets.

I'd probably suggest getting on Amazon, combing through some reviews and getting a mid-price charger, never the cheapest.

There was an article where numerous charger cables were equally tested in numerous ways (repeated twisting, bending, stretching, etc).

The findings were surprising in that they ended up recommending only two out of all of them — the official manufacturer ones (i.e. Apple), and Amazon Basics version for a budget version.

After testing they couldn’t — and wouldn’t — recommend any other unofficial cable.

I can’t find the article right now, but I’ll have a better look later when I have more time.

2 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

There was an article where numerous charger cables were equally tested in numerous ways (repeated twisting, bending, stretching, etc).

The findings were surprising in that they ended up recommending only two out of all of them — the official manufacturer ones (i.e. Apple), and Amazon Basics version for a budget version.

After testing they couldn’t — and wouldn’t — recommend any other unofficial cable.

I can’t find the article right now, but I’ll have a better look later when I have more time.

From my experience, Anker cables/chargers are as good as the 'official' cables &c, but if you do have an issue with them, the after-sales service is second-to-none. Admittedly, I've only had one occasion to contact them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

From my experience, Anker cables/chargers are as good as the 'official' cables &c, but if you do have an issue with them, the after-sales service is second-to-none. Admittedly, I've only had one occasion to contact them.

I do get the Anker braided cables for longer runs.

Now Apple is braiding their cables though, there’s less need for Anker ones, for me.

Anker are a great brand though — I have multiple extension cables, powerbanks, cables and more from them and would highly recommend. 👍

(Never had to use their after sales service, so that’s always a bonus, but from what I’ve heard it is exceptional as you say).

1 hour ago, Pyrotequila said:

I've never heard of this company, which probably also speaks volumes as I think I'm fairly on the ball when it comes to gadgets.

I'd probably suggest getting on Amazon, combing through some reviews and getting a mid-price charger, never the cheapest.

I obviously wouldn’t buy this brand again.  However, I think it’s worth mentioning that this isn’t an unknown Poundland type brand.  They are very widely sold in a lot of well known retail chains and and the cost appears to be similar to Anker.