Sheffield City Council Collects up to £5Million from Bus Lane Fines

12 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

It used to have a designated bus lane from the old Yorkshire grey to where it ends now, and they narrowed the road for the crossing outside the Novotel, blocking the bus lane and causing the problem. The council caused the problem they are now alleviating with fines. 

Tell me honestly how you think that the problem of this 'buses getting caught up in traffic here' wasn't caused by the council?

The issue was too many private cars in the way around the bus stops on the stretch between the back of the Lyceum to around the junction with Norfolk Street - and that was with a continuous bus lane. The bit back round the corner between Furnival Square and the Novotel is fairly irrelevant?

• Like 1

I'm one of the Blonk St ones. :hihi:

Though I was fully aware but traffic was a nightmare and my youngest had just been rushed to children's and ended up have neurosurgery for the 2nd time in his life (he's 5). 

£35 to be by his bedside was worth the price IMO

2 hours ago, AndrewC said:

The issue was too many private cars in the way around the bus stops on the stretch between the back of the Lyceum to around the junction with Norfolk Street - and that was with a continuous bus lane. The bit back round the corner between Furnival Square and the Novotel is fairly irrelevant?

There were also several collisions with cars forcing over to turn left into Norfolk St. Taxis still do it but with less frequency.

9 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

The bold... what's wrong with people using the turning point outside the Novotel? Save some money and what will likely be huge amounts of traffic caused by road works.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3788375,-1.4678043,3a,75y,35.24h,81.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHu0q6jzwzb5I35X0NgfcOA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

My bold. 

Oh, if only SCC had put up one or two, easy to see & read prominent road signs telling motorists about the turning point to avoid paying a fine.... Oh hang on a minute!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Planner1 said:

The income figures quoted in the “research” are quite misleading.

They assume that all the fines are paid, which is not true. When I was working in Sheffield, circa 40% of fines issued were cancelled or not able to be collected. 

In recent weeks I've received 5 x Penalty Charge Notices (fines) from Sheffield Council for driving in the Hillsborough crossroads bus lane, and the Block Street bus lane. But that's because my car was cloned and I successfully appealed each one.

On 29/05/2024 at 12:39, AndrewC said:

About time they started leaving poor motorists alone 😔😪 It's simply not fair that they fine us for something which is impossible to avoid.

If you capable of reading signs it's very avoidable.

On 29/05/2024 at 14:09, AndrewC said:

I think it's fair to say both WarPig and myself may have been being sarcastic 👌

Why didn't you put up a sarcasm sign🙂 I'll let ya off then

Set up a half mile exclusion zone around schools.

Any parent caught driving their kids to school into the zone, £200 fine. 

If you live within the zone then your vehicle will be exempted as long as it's parked within 75 yrds of your home.

Most kids walk a mile a day that way.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WarPig said:

Why do folk get so wound up about parents driving their kids to school? I don't get it.

It's more on how the parents (mis)behave when they get there, often showing no consideration for other parents or those that live on the roads they're parking on.

My daughter's school has a pelican crossing at the entrance gate of the school and parents park on the zigzags, both sides of the road and crossing. The record number I've seen parking on the zigzags is 8, completely covering them on all sides of the crossing. 

Police attend every now and then and hand out fines but the same parents just keep parking there.

Personally I'd like to see the penalty for parking on zigzags of a crossing to be a 7 day impound order + costs. Maybe if the inconsiderate owner is inconvienced significantly it'll teach them not to do it. 

• Thanks 1