English Touring Opera to Relocate to Sheffield

The English Touring Opera (ETO) has officially announced Sheffield as its new home, with plans to relocate its offices by the end of October 2024. This move is part of the Arts Council England Transfer Programme.

Sheffield: A Thriving Cultural Hub

Sheffield, a historic city with a vibrant cultural and creative industries sector, boasts a workforce in these fields that accounts for 7.2% of its population – nearly double the national average. ETO has existing ties with Sheffield, having built a strong audience through its regular performances at Sheffield Theatres.

Official Statements

Cllr Martin Smith, Chair of the Economic Development and Skills Committee at Sheffield City Council, expressed his excitement about ETO's relocation:

“Sheffield is a city of culture and creativity. We have a vibrant music and arts scene, our grassroots offer is exceptional and we also have nationally acclaimed venues and institutions within our culture sector.

“Outside of London, we have the largest regional theatre district and earlier this year we hosted the MOBO Awards. There is so much going on in the city in the way of arts and creativity and we are delighted that English Touring Opera will be part of this going forward.

"I'd like to extend a warm welcome to them on behalf of the Council and the city.”

Transition Plan

ETO's initial move will be to a temporary office in Sheffield, set to be completed by October 2024. This transition period will allow the company to establish deeper connections within the city before moving to a permanent location in Spring 2025.

Due to the company's long-term planning cycle, ETO will continue to rehearse and open its tours at London's Hackney Empire. The ambition is to shift rehearsals and openings to Sheffield starting with the Spring 2026 season.

Looking Forward

The relocation of English Touring Opera to Sheffield marks a significant development in the city's cultural landscape. As ETO integrates into Sheffield's dynamic arts scene, it promises to enhance the city's cultural offerings and strengthen its reputation as a major hub for the creative industries.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

The English Touring Opera (ETO) has officially announced Sheffield as its new home, with plans to relocate its offices by the end of October 2024. This move is part of the Arts Council England Transfer Programme.

Sheffield: A Thriving Cultural Hub

Sheffield, a historic city with a vibrant cultural and creative industries sector, boasts a workforce in these fields that accounts for 7.2% of its population – nearly double the national average. ETO has existing ties with Sheffield, having built a strong audience through its regular performances at Sheffield Theatres.

Official Statements

Cllr Martin Smith, Chair of the Economic Development and Skills Committee at Sheffield City Council, expressed his excitement about ETO's relocation:

“Sheffield is a city of culture and creativity. We have a vibrant music and arts scene, our grassroots offer is exceptional and we also have nationally acclaimed venues and institutions within our culture sector.

“Outside of London, we have the largest regional theatre district and earlier this year we hosted the MOBO Awards. There is so much going on in the city in the way of arts and creativity and we are delighted that English Touring Opera will be part of this going forward.

"I'd like to extend a warm welcome to them on behalf of the Council and the city.”

Transition Plan

ETO's initial move will be to a temporary office in Sheffield, set to be completed by October 2024. This transition period will allow the company to establish deeper connections within the city before moving to a permanent location in Spring 2025.

Due to the company's long-term planning cycle, ETO will continue to rehearse and open its tours at London's Hackney Empire. The ambition is to shift rehearsals and openings to Sheffield starting with the Spring 2026 season.

Looking Forward

The relocation of English Touring Opera to Sheffield marks a significant development in the city's cultural landscape. As ETO integrates into Sheffield's dynamic arts scene, it promises to enhance the city's cultural offerings and strengthen its reputation as a major hub for the creative industries.

Where was it based before ? 

I have no interest in opera, but this seems good for Sheffield and Sheffield Theatres in particular. Hackney is a deprived borough so it's a loss to them, but overall I'd say Sheffield is in greater need. Good to see Sheffield  recognised as a cultural centre.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Delbow said:

I have no interest in opera, but this seems good for Sheffield and Sheffield Theatres in particular. Hackney is a deprived borough so it's a loss to them, but overall I'd say Sheffield is in greater need. Good to see Sheffield  recognised as a cultural centre.

Not my either but if it brings more people & money into the city, I'm all for it.  Overall, this will probably bring in more people / money over a year than 2 weeks of snooker. 

Makes a change for something, entertainment & cultural wise, coming to Sheffield & not heading up to Leeds or over the Pennines. 

• Like 2

Working with schools is going to be a great way to encourage new audiences and I would hope there is some input into the organisation from local creatives. A pity that this comes on the back of a dreadful production of Manon Lescaut - see the Guardian reviews.

I've been thinking about what Sheffield Operas could be created and come up with:

• Otello, The Moor
  • River Don Giovanni
  • Un Ballo in Mosborough
  • Cosi Fan Totley

Any more ideas?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3