Problems formatting SD card ?

We have an Acer Chromebook and an Acer laptop.  I was trying to format my SD card for my smartphone for extra memory and neither the chromebook or the laptop or the phone  would recognise it.  At that point I nearly binned the card but I thought as a last resort I would get my son to bring his 10 year old HP laptop to have a try.  That did it immediately,  so the question is, have we got a faulty chromebook plus a faulty laptop or what the heck is going on?

I've had issues with SD cards before and usually managed to get them working again with some Windows magic, unless the card was totally fried.

Run Windows command prompt as administrator.

Type 'list disk'. All current dives will be shown.

Type 'select disk X' where X is the SD card drive number. (Do not mistake this part)

Type 'clean' to clean the drive. If an error occurs simply retry typing 'clean'.

Type 'create partition primary'.

Type 'format fs=FAT32'. The formatting may take 45 minutes or so. FAT32 is the tested file system type.

After the progress is at 100%, type 'assign' to finalize the drive letter for Windows.

• Like 1

Thanks, well I have formatted it now, but I have formatted them before with no problem. My sons HP did it in about 10 seconds. I don't want to risk clearing it and trying again. 

1 hour ago, spilldig said:

Thanks, well I have formatted it now, but I have formatted them before with no problem. My sons HP did it in about 10 seconds. I don't want to risk clearing it and trying again. 

The way mentioned above is a full format, that takes much longer. The HP will have done a quick format. No problem at all if it's your card and you're keeping it. A full format and more is good practice if you're selling storage.

Keep in mind the file size limitations of FAT32 (4GB) Most newer devices, and most operating systems recognise exFAT, this doesn't have the 4GB limit. Having said that, if it's doing the job OK for you...if it ain't broke, don't fix it ;) 

55 minutes ago, spilldig said:

O'k  Many thanks for that anyway zach.   I will make a note and if I have any more problems in future I will do the full format.

Just tried to run as administrator.  The Windows command prompt on the Chromebook is the 5th button from the left on the top row. The square with the two marks top left and bottom right. Pressing it does nothing, so again I'm wondering if something is wrong with the computer.   It does say press Windows+R but that does nothing?

The instructions that @Pyrotequila gave are for Microsoft Windows operating system. I've never owned a Chromebook, I doubt very much if Windows command line would work on it. Only a guess but I'd imagine Chrome OS has its own disc (disk) manager. Can you see anything like that in Apps or Settings?

What are you trying to do?

On 01/06/2024 at 11:25, zach said:

The instructions that @Pyrotequila gave are for Microsoft Windows operating system. I've never owned a Chromebook, I doubt very much if Windows command line would work on it. Only a guess but I'd imagine Chrome OS has its own disc (disk) manager. Can you see anything like that in Apps or Settings?

What are you trying to do?

O'k zach. Well what I was trying to do was to just try to get the option of a format to come on. You are right about Windows not being on a chromebook but I did go on apps and downloaded one for formatting a micro SD  card so hopefully that should be alright to use should I need it.  I suppose it still doesn't explain though why it wouldn't work on my wife's laptop which is on Windows but anyway, problem solved I think. Thanks. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, spilldig said:

O'k zach. Well what I was trying to do was to just try to get the option of a format to come on. You are right about Windows not being on a chromebook but I did go on apps and downloaded one for formatting a micro SD  card so hopefully that should be alright to use should I need it.  I suppose it still doesn't explain though why it wouldn't work on my wife's laptop which is on Windows but anyway, problem solved I think. Thanks. 

Sometimes SD Cards and/or the card reader in the device/PC can be very fussy. It doesn't always mean there's a problem with the card or reader. Odd partitions can cause issues. I use a Raspberry Pi for various things, depending on what it was, I usually use the 'clean' method mentioned above to get the card back to a state that's ready to format.

Edited by zach

On 03/06/2024 at 12:46, zach said:

Sometimes SD Cards and/or the card reader in the device/PC can be very fussy. It doesn't always mean there's a problem with the card or reader. Odd partitions can cause issues. I use a Raspberry Pi for various things, depending on what it was, I usually use the 'clean' method mentioned above to get the card back to a state that's ready to format.

On 03/06/2024 at 12:46, zach said:

Ok Zack 

Well hopefully should be okay now with the app

Thanks