What was the factory?

desy

• 3 months later...
Remember going down where the Arena is now. A few dozen years ago. What factory was it on the site. It seemed to be derelict for some time.

It was Brown Bayleys Steel that was between Leeds Road and past Coleridge Road.I worked there from 1963-70

Yes, my husband worked there up to 1962.

Do you happen to have any photos of Brown Bayleys?I never took a single photo when I worked there,much to my regret.If you have would you please email them to me on stuartb47 at yahoo.com.Thanks.Where did you husband work there as there was about 4000 employees?

Remember going down where the Arena is now. A few dozen years ago. What factory was it on the site. It seemed to be derelict for some time.

Hello desy,

i am from Darnall and was born on there. i remember that the original broughton lane was further back than now, not much tho'.

The original Broughton Lane Bridge has been moved 50 yards approx to the right as you come down from Attercliffe, as you come over the original Broughton Lane Bridge on the left hand side was Kings scrap yard, past that on the same side was the B & C coal yard , next to that was the B & C Dairy which was opposite the Railway Inn which is now the Noose and Gibbet. Futher down was some houses. Behind the B & C Dairy was cartonville Road , all was demolished right upto terry street wreck just to build the arena.

[it all seems a lifetime ago that the dairy was standing which was in the early 80's]

• 4 years later...
Yes, definitely Brown Bailey's - I worked there in 1967

Do you remember my dad Leonard Theaker. he worked there a long time but sadly passed away in 1967, taken ill from work and developed pneumonia. I was 16 then

Archived