Council No Imagination

Sheffield By The Sea is HUGELY popular. So are most other events like the Food Festival.

When things like that are on, there’s little else that can be put on because the resources are there. So it needs to be stuff that targets other weekends, of which there aren’t too many free (depending on what venue you want to use).

As for new things, we just had Crossed Wires last weekend, which was well attended and something truly new and unique (and had the city centre buzzing all weekend).

I’m sure there’s other new things too — but it’s not just on the council, it needs people and organisations to put things together. The council just facilitates most events rather than put them on themselves.

Plus, we’ve not got Fargate completed yet — that is a new venue centred on doing city centre events (both Events Central and Fargate itself).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Sheffield By The Sea is HUGELY popular. So are most other events like the Food Festival.

When things like that are on, there’s little else that can be put on because the resources are there. So it needs to be stuff that targets other weekends, of which there aren’t too many free (depending on what venue you want to use).

As for new things, we just had Crossed Wires last weekend, which was well attended and something truly new and unique (and had the city centre buzzing all weekend).

I’m sure there’s other new things too — but it’s not just on the council, it needs people and organisations to put things together. The council just facilitates most events rather than put them on themselves.

Plus, we’ve not got Fargate completed yet — that is a new venue centred on doing city centre events (both Events Central and Fargate itself).

Ladies and Gentlemen , that was an advertisement on behalf of Sheffield Council . 😂

2 hours ago, bassett one said:

noticed same old stuff this summer sheffield by the sea , no imagination is there ? same old stuff, same place , why not something different.

I use to find it strange that they do a  pop up seaside on Newcastle Quayside when the coast is only about 9 miles from the quayside and well serviced by the metro and buses which takes just over 20 minutes by metro train to the coast.  But it seems to be popular with families. 

In the 60's the council allowed cycle racing on the Norfolk Park circuit road, 

This circular parkway is ideal for young cyclists to get experience in road racing (think even more Olympic medals cycling has provided so many over the last 20 odd years )   , 

Wilsons cycle shop on City Road sponsored races at one time ,  I was talking to the gaffer at James cycles just last week , He seemed very interested when I told him about the past events .

• Like 1

sheffield council only do things or events that helps them make a big profit as in 200 or 600 pound a stall per day, but i am just saying do these events slightly different each year, its a pity they dont help people who do good events to keep them in sheffield ie the fantastic sheffield steam rally chucked out of sheffield and in rotherham area, why its ours but gone, our festival has had to move to dronfield and i am sure theres lots more, i am not bothered as its only a tad into derbyshire. 

but if you stay the same with any event people dont come , you must keep the best but add /refresh every year other wise you become stale.

16 minutes ago, bassett one said:

sheffield council only do things or events that helps them make a big profit as in 200 or 600 pound a stall per day, but i am just saying do these events slightly different each year, its a pity they dont help people who do good events to keep them in sheffield ie the fantastic sheffield steam rally chucked out of sheffield and in rotherham area, why its ours but gone, our festival has had to move to dronfield and i am sure theres lots more, i am not bothered as its only a tad into derbyshire. 

but if you stay the same with any event people dont come , you must keep the best but add /refresh every year other wise you become stale.

The council don’t run things like Sheffield Food Festival you know… that is run by Swans Events (after the first ten years successfully run by Events Collective). Other events are run by different organisations — last weekend’s Crossed Wires for example was a collective of people from Wondery and the likes of James O’Hara, Alice Levine, etc. 

The council support these events to take place, but don’t run them, per se. 

Things do refresh every so often when the organisers decide it is time to. Tramlines got bigger and bigger and moved to Ponderosa then Hillsborough. Cliffhanger did similar. Various events have moved about the city centre and beyond for various reasons. THE Christmas Markets have changed quite a bit over the past few years. They all compete with each other and that competition determines the prices and pitches, etc.

There seemed no shortage of stall holders and queues were a near permanent  feature so it would appear the council got the " market rate" correct.

As we know government  support to local government   has dropped about 40 percent in the last decade or so this income is needed.

• Like 1