Sheffield: a crucible for left-field culture and regeneration (The Guardian)

2 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

Domo (and lots of similar places) is full most weekends.

Yup. Its my favourite restaurant. My original point still stands though, go and look at the Cambridge St thread and the chat about the pizza from there.

13 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

But the problem remains that people in Sheffield are as tight as a ducks arse. 

Imagine some people on this forum going to Domo for a meal ffs. 

"Ow bleedin much!" 

Rubbish. 

Why is it the restaurant successful then?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mkapaka said:

Rubbish. 

Why is it the restaurant successful then?

Because a small subset of people aren't as tight as a ducks arse. 

I would eat there every day if I could but I would probably be dead. 

In the next two weeks there will be a Documentary Film festival at many town centre venues including World Premiers and a Migration Matters festival including poetry, dance, food etc

Culture embraces more than just posh restaurants for those with sufficient disposable income

• Like 1

Look !!!!! It is  OK for people on here to be going about some proper Sheffielders being as tight as a ducks arse ,"How much love " and all that malarky , But some of our citizens are not minted like the up your own arse brigade ,    Instance  !!!!!!it was our lasses birthday last week so I thought lets go out for dinner ,  We visited a pub in Burntcross ,, Two meals , not fancy just good pub grub , Four or five drinks inc three pints of beer at nearly six quid a pint , two glasses of red wine a couple of sweets to finish of , The bill ,!!!!!! just under a hundred quid , I mean  , for a pub meal ,  So lets get real we were lucky as we only ever go on special occasions and can put a few quid aside for this but!!!!!I know many who can not afford to even go in this pub for a pint with their mates as they are on low wages so the money does not run to it .

My birthday soon . Wetherspoons here we come .

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Look !!!!! It is  OK for people on here to be going about some proper Sheffielders being as tight as a ducks arse ,"How much love " and all that malarky , But some of our citizens are not minted like the up your own arse brigade ,    Instance  !!!!!!it was our lasses birthday last week so I thought lets go out for dinner ,  We visited a pub in Burntcross ,, Two meals , not fancy just good pub grub , Four or five drinks inc three pints of beer at nearly six quid a pint , two glasses of red wine a couple of sweets to finish of , The bill ,!!!!!! just under a hundred quid , I mean  , for a pub meal ,  So lets get real we were lucky as we only ever go on special occasions and can put a few quid aside for this but!!!!!I know many who can not afford to even go in this pub for a pint with their mates as they are on low wages so the money does not run to it .

Out of sheer curiosity, just how much would you think would be a fair rate for the Landlords to charge for two meals, two desserts, and five drinks to be served to you in a venue that needs to pay their rent and rates and pay for the electricity and the heating...   and pay for those ingredients and all the equipment and furnishings... and the staff to cook your food and to serve it to you the table and to clear away the plates and to wash up the dishes and to pour your drinks at the bar and to clean the bogs.... Oh and also try and make some smidgen of  profit out of it.

Not every venue has the might of some corporation behind it. They can't always fall back on their corporate master's aggressive buying power advantage, centralised operations and loss leaders. They've got to earn a living as well.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Six quid a pint in Burncross, bluddy hell!

Three quid in Lane Top club..

17 minutes ago, Padders said:

Six quid a pint in Burncross, bluddy hell!

Three quid in Lane Top club..

£2-30p in Wethers same stuff as six quid up road , Bar staff , rent and rates still need paying just the same as nooby is on about .   Two pubs in same area charging £3 - 20 for Smiths ,they also pay same rates and bar staff so put that in Nooby-s pipe and smoke it 

38 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

£2-30p in Wethers same stuff as six quid up road , Bar staff , rent and rates still need paying just the same as nooby is on about .   Two pubs in same area charging £3 - 20 for Smiths ,they also pay same rates and bar staff so put that in Nooby-s pipe and smoke it 

Nooby's.   :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: