38 minutes ago, gaz 786 said:

Get bobbies back on beat with a truncheon and wanna be gangsters will soon realise who the law is good old fashioned coppering society has gone mad these days it all started when they stopped cane at school 

13 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Never take a truncheon to a machete fight 😬

I think there’s been a significant decline in moral values since folk stopped using a full stop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gaz 786 said:

Get bobbies back on beat with a truncheon and wanna be gangsters will soon realise who the law is good old fashioned coppering society has gone mad these days it all started when they stopped cane at school 

Oh come off it. People always bring out this trope about bobbies on the beat and the "good old days". 

The world has drastically moved on. It's not Trumpton or Dixon of Dock Green anymore.  

The ONS records the biggest category of crime last year was.....Fraud.  Most likely type of crime to be a victim of.... Fraud.  Computer misuse offences were also up 33%. 

Those sorts of crimes don't get solved by PC plod wandering around on the streets. Neither do terror plots get foiled.  Neither is a truncheon going to do much good in tackling the rise in firearms offences or breaking up human traffic organisations or child sex rings or multi million pounds drugs operations.  

Criminals have become much more sophisticated, the technology has massively evolved and the police have had to evolve their own operations with it.

It's not just about 'bobbies on the beat'. That's nothing more than a load of oversimplistic meaningless theatre to give the public some faux assurance and a lot of easy soundbites political gesturing from attention seeking MPs. 

Vast amounts of the real crime is far bigger, far more sophisticated and happening  buried underground, behind closed doors and out there hidden in the vast cyberspace of the dark web.  

• Like 3

15 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Oh come off it. People always bring out this trope about bobbies on the beat and the "good old days". 

The world has drastically moved on. It's not Trumpton or Dixon of Dock Green anymore.  

Whilst I totally agree with your post and reasoning, there is definitely a place for police presence, especially in town. 

It's full of beggars, drunks, druggies, petty thieves and gives the place an uncomfortable feel. I heard people say they don't go to town for these reasons, so it's bad for the economy. I know shopping has changed since the days of the internet, but town that I saw was mostly boarded up and looked like an American film. 

I saw it with my own eyes when I came back to England in March for a couple of weeks. Totally different feel to Asian cities (namely China and Korea) where you can walk about completely freely alone at night (including women) without even skipping a heartbeat - maybe I've just got used to it. The visible police presence in China especially big cities is unbelievable. There's almost always one in sight.

I compared this area to the Moor and Fargate at night.https://youtu.be/asTrGD2MB4c?feature=shared&t=189and this https://youtu.be/BgfJaL4NLp4?feature=shared&t=457

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

Whilst I totally agree with your post and reasoning, there is definitely a place for police presence, especially in town. 

It's full of beggars, drunks, druggies, petty thieves and gives the place an uncomfortable feel. I heard people say they don't go to town for these reasons, so it's bad for the economy. I know shopping has changed since the days of the internet, but town that I saw was mostly boarded up and looked like an American film. 

I saw it with my own eyes when I came back to England in March for a couple of weeks. Totally different feel to Asian cities (namely China and Korea) where you can walk about completely freely alone at night (including women) without even skipping a heartbeat - maybe I've just got used to it. The visible police presence in China especially big cities is unbelievable. There's almost always one in sight.

I compared this area to the Moor and Fargate at night.https://youtu.be/asTrGD2MB4c?feature=shared&t=189and this https://youtu.be/BgfJaL4NLp4?feature=shared&t=457

Maybe you should have compared it to the places where the bars and restaurants  and evening venues are located in Sheffield instead.  How about Division Street, Leopold Square, West Street, Millennium Square, Tudor Square, Norfolk Street.... 

How about the small matter that population in Beijing? Is 35 times larger than in Sheffield. No wonder it looks slightly busier. 

Come on - if you're going to do some comparisons at least try and make them realistic. 

Yes I will admit. There's more police officers in China, but it's a police state. That's hardly something to be celebrated given their extremely dubious civil and human rights record. 

Yes of course. We have some poverty and beggars and anti-social behaviour in our cities but I'm not buying into this whole people being fearful of walking around town and portrayal like it's some desolate wasteland.  In my experience most of those inaccurate and exaggerated comments are generally from stubborn rose tinted people who don't like change and barely step foot in the place from one year to the next.  The basic fact remains is the majority of people do feel perfectly safe walking around the city in the evenings. Most people do it on a regular basis. People live there. People work there. 

Yes course there are some levels of crime but to try and portray it as some desolate wasteland where the entire country is failing compared to elsewhere is just nonsense.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

Maybe you should have compared it to the places where the bars and restaurants  and evening venues are located in Sheffield instead.  How about Division Street, Leopold Square, West Street, Millennium Square, Tudor Square, Norfolk Street.... 

Division Street - begged at (have on film but not uploaded to youtube yet)

Leopold Square - looks nice, been before, but too expensive for me

West Street - Really? That's full of beggars, especially around the Tesco. 

MillSq/TudorSq/Norfolk Street is probably one of the nicest looking places in the centre. But not much happening at night, so few beggars.  

How about the small matter that population in Beijing? Is 35 times larger than in Sheffield. No wonder it looks slightly busier. 

OK, how about this one. Population of this area is about 10,000, but as a whole the city is 330,000.

On my scooter I can get to the town centre in 20 minutes (probably about the same as Hunters Bar to Town. 

My area (I noticed when editing it, but didn't realise at the time, I never even considered taking the key out of my electric scooter. But the town centre is equally safe, and the populations are quite similar 

Come on - if you're going to do some comparisons at least try and make them realistic. 

This is much more realistic. 

Yes I will admit. There's more police officers in China, but it's a police state. That's hardly something to be celebrated given their extremely dubious civil and human rights record. 

They don't really need all these officers walking around. There are cameras everywhere. You are never not on film. 

The civil and human rights record makes you sound like a newspaper reading typical westerner, which is disappointing for a poster who I hold I more respect for than most. 

Yes of course. We have some poverty and beggars and anti-social behaviour in our cities but I'm not buying into this whole people being fearful of walking around town and portrayal like it's some desolate wasteland.  In my experience most of those inaccurate and exaggerated comments are generally from stubborn rose tinted people who don't like change and barely step foot in the place from one year to the next.  The basic fact remains is the majority of people do feel perfectly safe walking around the city in the evenings. Most people do it on a regular basis. People live there. People work there. 

1st bold: I think it's a basic fact.

2nd bold: People who live there and work there have no choice but to walk around, and I accept that probably the majority don't worry about walking around because they are used to it. 

Last point, which is just a general question for you or any of the posters who have contributed so far: If you had a teenage daughter, and she said she was walking home at 2 in the morning on her own from the old castle market area (which in the other thread it was established IS the city centre) to say Broomhill, would you be ok with this? Or would you pick her up or pay for a taxi for her?

Yes course there are some levels of crime but to try and portray it as some desolate wasteland where the entire country is failing compared to elsewhere is just nonsense.  

to be honest, that's what I saw when I went! I'll be happy to post this video when I complete it! 

West Street is not full of beggers and neither is the city centre ,its ludicrous  hyperbole to say it is.

There are about 20 " usual suspects"

Only the other day I saw a comment the council should not developed Pounds Park as its where the druggies will be.

The same frame of mind has them saying the new city park down on the former markets shouldn't go ahead.