Let’s face it the inception of self serve supermarkets was an invitation to thieves. However the cost savings on lost stock against savings on staff wages must have been taken into account at the time and are still relevent today. I wouldn’t advocate staff members challenging thieves as knife crime is on the rise, I don’t see what the police can do other than to arrest transgressors in the event of violence to staff members.

7 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Let’s face it the inception of self serve supermarkets was an invitation to thieves. However the cost savings on lost stock against savings on staff wages must have been taken into account at the time and are still relevent today. I wouldn’t advocate staff members challenging thieves as knife crime is on the rise, I don’t see what the police can do other than to arrest transgressors in the event of violence to staff members.

Yes, good points I think. If the supermarkets want to reduce shoplifting they can put people back on the tills. It would mean people like the Tesco boss might have to accept £6m a year instead of £10m a year, but you know, I think he might pull through. It's not up to us to pay the police to deal with the effects of the supermarkets' cost-cutting while they charge us more for food.

Think of it this way: 

If an executive came up to you in a supermarket and said 'look, since we removed a load of checkout staff, shoplifting has gone through the roof, so give some money to that person over there so that they do something about it', you'd go 'jog on pal, sort it yourself!'

The police are just saying that on your behalf.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Right, so one man throwing something at a car  

I counted at least  six causing damage then running like Rats

rats swarm GIF

Edited by Beechwood_S6

A whole six is it? I was at the big poll tax demo in central London in 1990, if people are fretting about the video Resident posted, it's them who's gone soft.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delbow said:

A whole six is it? I was at the big poll tax demo in central London in 1990, if people are fretting about the video Resident posted, it's them who's gone soft.

So the car owner will be fine about it, thats ok then

1990 so was I...........I've  seen much worse over the years.

nowt to brag about.

8 minutes ago, Beechwood_S6 said:

So the car owner will be fine about it, thats ok then

1990 so was I...........I've  seen much worse over the years.

nowt to brag about.

I'm sure it was an unpleasant experience for them. The topic of the thread is the police though, who clearly didn't do nothing. Therefore the clip is worthless in this context.

3 hours ago, hauxwell said:

I’m off to do a free shop at Asda today.  Mr Farage said you can’t get prosecuted for nicking less than £200 worth of goods. Is this a joke?  No wonder food prices are going up. This is what he said last night on the BBC

You can go out and nick up to 200 quid’s worth without being prosecuted,” he said. “We are seeing a decline, a societal decline of law and order in this country and, frankly, government and the police forces are being too scared of what needs to be done.”

I am sure he did say that but like most things that comes out of the mouth of that frog face chump, he goes for the pithy attention seeking soundbites rather than the practical reality of what he is talking about. 

Of course you could still get prosecuted. Theft is theft. It is a question of whether there are sufficient resourcing, value, commerciality and merit to investigating, forming a case and prosecuting which are all things that have to be considered in these days of dwindling police resources, corporate reputation and extremely fickle public opinion.  

After all, would people like police prioritise getting justice for some sweet old lady  getting robbed on the street and having her pension nicked or trying to recover some asset for the big corporate billion pound  conglomerate.

Then factor in, is it worth the time and effort for Tesco etc to use its resources in trying to track down, provide sufficient evidence and go through the whole prosecution process for some low value theft which they will have insurance against and already built into to their budgeting model. There is already a technical term for it used in the retail industry known as shrinkage which includes everything from theft to mis-totalled sales to damaged goods.  

Then we have the circumstances of the thief themselves. What is their story.  Stealing to fund someone drug habit?  but then again, according to certain newspapers they are doing it out of sheer necessity because they are starving and need to feed their families..... So who is a real victim in the fickle emotive reactionary public's eyes? The starving shop lifter doing it out of alleged desperate need or a faceless corporation crying about losing some profit mark up.  

Any moron can go on a podium and spout bold claims. Actual practical delivery is a different league. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

I am sure he did say that but like most things that comes out of the mouth of that frog face chump, he goes for the pithy attention seeking soundbites rather than the practical reality of what he is talking about. 

Of course you could still get prosecuted. Theft is theft. It is a question of whether there are sufficient resourcing, value, commerciality and merit to investigating, forming a case and prosecuting which are all things that have to be considered in these days of dwindling police resources, corporate reputation and extremely fickle public opinion.  

After all, would people like police prioritise getting justice for some sweet old lady  getting robbed on the street and having her pension nicked or trying to recover some asset for the big corporate billion pound  conglomerate.

Then factor in, is it worth the time and effort for Tesco etc to use its resources in trying to track down, provide sufficient evidence and go through the whole prosecution process for some low value theft which they will have insurance against and already built into to their budgeting model. There is already a technical term for it used in the retail industry known as shrinkage which includes everything from theft to mis-totalled sales to damaged goods.  

Then we have the circumstances of the thief themselves. What is their story.  Stealing to fund someone drug habit?  but then again, according to certain newspapers they are doing it out of sheer necessity because they are starving and need to feed their families..... So who is a real victim in the fickle emotive reactionary public's eyes? The starving shop lifter doing it out of alleged desperate need or a faceless corporation crying about losing some profit mark up.  

Any moron can go on a podium and spout bold claims. Actual practical delivery is a different league.