Cheap parking in City Centre today

1 hour ago, AndrewC said:

The vast majority of Sheffield's multi-storey car parks - or indeed any car parking - are barely 1-2 minutes drive from the inner ring-road. When I think of the ones along Eyre Street, Charter Row, the Charles Street MSCP - not a single bus gate, 'cycles only', one-way, no-entry sign, etc. comes to mind. All on two-way roads right off the ring-road.

You might even think that someone planned all this for ease of use by motorists, but I’m sure that folk on here will keep trotting out the same old “anti-car council” nonsense.

• Like 2

The main issue I have is cost rather than availability.  Eyre Street CP is ruinously expensive for all day if you need to - unless you have subsidised parking from work.

image.png.68369dd1626f83fe2cac6e8be9bbb181.png

And after a run in with the vampires that run private parking I wouldn't trust the Euro Car Park on Matilda Street at all

14 minutes ago, Andy_terrier said:

The main issue I have is cost rather than availability.  Eyre Street CP is ruinously expensive for all day if you need to - unless you have subsidised parking from work.

image.png.68369dd1626f83fe2cac6e8be9bbb181.png

And after a run in with the vampires that run private parking I wouldn't trust the Euro Car Park on Matilda Street at all

Firstly, £2.70 per hour in a multi storey car park in the centre of a major city is not “ruinously expensive” as you put it.

Have a look at similar locations in Manchester, Leeds and Nottingham and you might find that it’s quite reasonable.

There are plenty of deals around for all day parking in the city centre. Atkinsons car park does an early bird deal for£7 all day if you arrive before 09.30.  There are others. Check Parkopedia online.

• Like 1

Average cost/hour of parking in major cities (based on the top five busiest car parks in each city centre, source: CarMoney):

London: £6.76
Newcastle Upon Tyne: £4.61

Edinburgh: £4.30

Manchester: £4.04

Liverpool: £3.64

Glasgow: £3.62

Birmingham: £3.42

Nottingham: £2.99

Leeds: £2.46

Bristol: £2.42

[...]

Sheffield: £2.34

• Thanks 1

I did say all day. For me to park in that car park for work its going to cost me £22.50 if it wasn't for the subsidised parking I get from my work.  That seems pretty hefty.  I also didn't say that was indicative of all parking in town just that City Centre parking all day is expensive in general terms.

An hour or 2 shopping then that's fine.  Pay more trying to park at the hospitals...

26 minutes ago, Andy_terrier said:

I did say all day. For me to park in that car park for work its going to cost me £22.50 if it wasn't for the subsidised parking I get from my work.  That seems pretty hefty.  I also didn't say that was indicative of all parking in town just that City Centre parking all day is expensive in general terms.

An hour or 2 shopping then that's fine.  Pay more trying to park at the hospitals...

Have you considered Park & Ride?

Free to park - just pay for your tram ticket from/to: 

https://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/en-GB/LandingPage/Sheffield-Park-and-Ride

• Like 1

I am actually on the tram route but its to do with kids travel for school and time. I even work out the cost of public transport for all of us which we do a day a week - this costs me more than the petrol and parking TBH.

Point is upwards of £22 is a lot of money for a day's parking.

What I have noticed is a lot of on street parking from Eyre Street up towards the Town Hall is taken up with Electric cars - am I right in thinking you are exempt from parking charges?  Do you need a pass or something? (BTW don't have an electric car just interested)

2 hours ago, Andy_terrier said:

People parking all day on a regular basis for work are not paying £22.50.  

Firstly, 'all day' for work does not equal 24 hours.  Secondly, the vast majority of people parking like that will have season tickets or deals or discounts based on the time they enter the car park and frequency. 

How many people are seriously paying rack rate for daily charges on a regular basis.

Just the same as train tickets or travel passes. People doing the journey several times a week are certainly not going to be paying the standard daily rate. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Andy_terrier said:

Point is upwards of £22 is a lot of money for a day's parking.

What I have noticed is a lot of on street parking from Eyre Street up towards the Town Hall is taken up with Electric cars - am I right in thinking you are exempt from parking charges?  Do you need a pass or something? (BTW don't have an electric car just interested)

It is, but the point is that that car park is very much aimed at short stay visitors.

People who commute to the city centre regularly would probably tend to park a bit further out, where you can get much cheaper parking. If you know where to look, you can also find free on street parking not far outside the inner ring road. All of the council’s permit parking zones have some free spaces in them.

The electric vehicles you have seen will be using the green parking permits