Cheap parking in City Centre today

40 minutes ago, Andy_terrier said:

do they have to display the permit?

Dozens of people park their cars for free(and no permit)around where I live after dropping off their kids at one of three primary and three secondary schools nearby. The usually cannot pick up their children if they  are working a full day-which disproves the myth of 'having' to take the kids to school.

They then walk (takes 20 minutes), bus(every 5 minutes) even cycle (faster than a car) to get town. IF there were fewer cars clogging up the routes into the centre(like you propose to do) the journey into the centre would be quicker and more pleasant.

I am also not prepared to subsidize cheaper parking  for you,  just so that people can leave their cars in the centre all day and make it more difficult for others. Unless of course you subsidize me!

There are of course should be exceptions in cases of real need.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy_terrier said:

do they have to display the permit?

Permits are digital nowadays, so you don’t see anything displayed.

Civil enforcement officers just scan the number plate to check.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

IF there were fewer cars clogging up the routes into the centre(like you propose to do) the journey into the centre would be quicker and more pleasant.

I am also not prepared to subsidize cheaper parking  for you,  just so that people can leave their cars in the centre all day and make it more difficult for others. Unless of course you subsidize me!

Not sure I proposed anything?  I just made a comment on the price of an all day parking ticket in a city centre car park!  I also did not at any point suggest you or I have to subsidise anything so I think you need to reread my posts before making unfounded accusations.

4 hours ago, Andy_terrier said:

I did say all day. For me to park in that car park for work its going to cost me £22.50 if it wasn't for the subsidised parking I get from my work.  That seems pretty hefty.  I also didn't say that was indicative of all parking in town just that City Centre parking all day is expensive in general terms.

An hour or 2 shopping then that's fine.  Pay more trying to park at the hospitals...

there are over 600 spaces within 5 min walk all under a tenner for a full day. if you are there every day i would suggest looking for a longer time pass.

i pay £3.50 all day and im 7 min walk to Fargate

• Like 1

As I said I get subsidised parking, I was just using the basic tariff as an example.  I also said I don't drive into the office every day and make use of public transport at least 1 of those days I do go in.  Not sure why the hoo har really.  I am sure there are cheaper ways for people who DO NOT get subsidised parking and need to stay all day but a lot of the privately-run multi stories are pretty expensive.

When I worked at the city end of the Wicker I used to park at the (what was) the Hilton which is very reasonable.  that doesn't work for me now.

13 minutes ago, Andy_terrier said:

As I said I get subsidised parking, I was just using the basic tariff as an example.  I also said I don't drive into the office every day and make use of public transport at least 1 of those days I do go in.  Not sure why the hoo har really.  I am sure there are cheaper ways for people who DO NOT get subsidised parking and need to stay all day but a lot of the privately-run multi stories are pretty expensive.

When I worked at the city end of the Wicker I used to park at the (what was) the Hilton which is very reasonable.  that doesn't work for me now.

Compared to what though?  As general point parking right in the heart of town in a multi story on premium land in the is going to come with a price. Just like it is in cities up and down the land.  However, as has been pointed out, comparatively those so-called expensive rates in Sheffield are nothing compared to other major cities so it could be argued our multi-stories are cheap.  

Yes, rack rates might be look expensive but as was pointed out to you, most people using them regular will not pay rack rates. Plenty of other people using them won't be paying 'all day' either so the so called expense is all relative. 

It's not as if there are not other cheaper options available for those who are prepared to walk a bit further or go in after peak hours or even using park and ride.

I don't think anyone is creating a hoo-har, just pointing out that your simplistic comparison of using a 24-hour rack rate is hardly a realistic sample to what most drivers will be using or paying.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Andy_terrier said:

I think the “hoo har” is because you’re making claims that patently aren’t true (“ruinously expensive” ) and moaning about the cost of all day parking in a car park that is very centrally located and not  pitched at the all day parking market.

Car park operators in premium locations will pitch to the far more lucrative short stay market. Of course they will let you pay those rates for all day if you want to pay it, but there are plenty of cheaper places if you really do want to stay all day.

So essentially you’re moaning about nothing and that car park owner and others like them are doing exactly what any reasonable person would expect then to.

• Like 1

Then I stand corrected, jeez.

I understand how it all works, like I said we get subsidised parking in the same car park through work. It still feels expensive to me to pay £20 in that car park if the circumstances were that I had to.  That's an opinion not a fact - no comparison needed.