Sheffield sprinter Louie Hinchliffe shatters 10-second barrier in US

221125_tf_Recruits-5-2.jpg?width=300

Over 9.95 stunning seconds the British sprinter Louie Hinchliffe became the first European to win the men’s 100m at the United States’ National Collegiate Athletic Association Championships on Saturday. Afterwards the 21-year-old from Sheffield revealed how a WhatsApp message to the nine-time Olympic champion Carl Lewis asking him: “Can you fix me?” had changed his life.

“I gave it everything, it’s what I’ve been working for the whole year,” said Hinchliffe after a late burst gave him victory in Eugene, Oregon, in a time that makes him the sixth-quickest Briton ever.

But, as he acknowledged, it has been some journey given that until the age of 16 he wanted to be a professional golfer and that, when he went to the University of Lancaster to study management and IT at 18, he spent more time partying than running as there was no track nearby. “I would get on a bus twice a week, 30 minutes away, to train,” he said. “I didn’t have any support, I was just a regular student.”

Winning the 2022 English championships earned him a sports scholarship at the University of Washington, where he continued to improve. But his great leap forward came last August after he managed to find the phone number of Lewis, the 1984 and 1988 Olympic 100m champion, among other titles, and a coach at the University of Houston.

Well done Louie, fantastic to see success from a local lad. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, abbeyedges said:

It is a credible achievement. However I believe that the conditions, wind speed etc meant it couldn't be counted as any type of record.

Credible indeed to have your name on a list that includes winners like Cameron Burrell, Samuel Jefferson, Leroy Burrell, Joe DeLoach, Stanley Floyd, Carl Lewis and hundreds of Olympic medal winners.

Most athletes consider their personal best a record.

UK Athletics consider personal best times as the most important record of recent performance.

The NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships host the best American College athletes in their most prestigious event of their calendar.

The track is one of the best in the USA and will soon host the American Olympic Trials.

The winning 9.95 second time in the final stands as NOT being wind assisted, you may be referring to his best time of 9.84s time in the heats, which was wind assisted.

The current British record is 9.83s  by Zharnel Hughes(28).

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

The former PE teacher of Team GB sprinter Louie Hinchliffe has tipped him to do "really, really well" at this summer's Olympic Games.

Hinchliffe, 21, will represent his nation in the Men's 100m at Paris 2024 after winning the British title in Manchester last month.

The University of Houston student, from Crosspool in Sheffield, previously attended Notre Dame High School in the city from 2014 to 2021.

The school's head of PE Richard Downs said Hinchliffe "has got more to go".

Louie Hinchliffe