Staniforth Road Police incident

6 minutes ago, mafya said:

Good old Gleadless valley, I bought a 3 bed maisonette on there about 15 yrs ago off an Asian guy I know quite cheap because he had his windows put through numerous times.

Im not saying white flight is to blame for all of it and to be honest I can understand why some feel the need to move away.

Immigration is a complex issue but one thing I will say is that division and hatred is not the way forward.

I moved to Southey 2 years ago, I’ve had a couple of incidents from local ********s who I have put right and my car was stolen in the middle of the afternoon by a local idiot in one of the gangs but guess what?

Even though they were of English ethnicity I don’t fear or hate English people and I just look at it as part of how society is today.

I also have an issue with how some immigrants who come to this country behave but I don’t stereotype all immigr@nuts as the same plus I’m also of the opinion that we need to get the immigr@tion system under control because it is impacting on the lives of people who like myself h@ve lived here for decades but I have managed to say that without being offensive or saying  sink the boats etc etc.

I blame the Govt because immigration is a money spinner for then, some of the fees they charge for visas, applications to stay etc etc.

As a country we need to be able to discuss immigration in a grown up way without being offensive and we would realise that even some immigrants who have been here 10-15 years themselves are of the opinion that the system needs to change.

I agree :thumbsup: but anyone who tries to discuss it gets called a racist. 

2 hours ago, hackey lad said:

I agree :thumbsup: but anyone who tries to discuss it gets called a racist. 

I don’t think discussing immigration and saying that the immigration system is not working and that immigration is putting a strain on services is racist but the problem  of being called a racist only arises if it is discussed in a way that is racist/xenophobic etc.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

When migrants come here I belive they get priority 

Then you believe wrong - it's a myth spread by people with a racist agenda. I know my housing law, had to use it for years, and no-one gets priority based on migration status. Some people are excluded from social housing because of their immigration status but no-one gets an advantage because of it. I've lost count of the number of comments I've read along the lines of "my brother in law works in housing and he says if you're an addict or a migrant you get priority". It's usually an in-law for some reason. They're lies.

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Then you believe wrong - it's a myth spread by people with a racist agenda. I know my housing law, had to use it for years, and no-one gets priority based on migration status. Some people are excluded from social housing because of their immigration status but no-one gets an advantage because of it. I've lost count of the number of comments I've read along the lines of "my brother in law works in housing and he says if you're an addict or a migrant you get priority". It's usually an in-law for some reason. They're lies.

That is a load of rubbish, Where we live on a smashing council estate   , As the old ones die off and the house becomes for rent the priority is obvious , Young addicts getting old folks bungalows,  Immigrants also in the local semi and flats .    Our own kids from long standing Sheffield families black or white, do not get a look in , they are stuck living with mam and dad presumably for ever .

• Like 1

Is there anyone on here,  ex council who can clarify this because I can understand both points of view,  it has been mentioned on other forums that youngsters can't afford to live in places they were brought up in - have one child and they will get the parental home eventually,  have two or more and

it becomes a case of dividing the sale of house profit.

Social housing allocation is based on need, not on migration status or nationality.

Councils use a point system, or bands, to decide who gets priority for homes. Priority groups are those who are homeless or fleeing violence, live in overcrowded or very bad housing conditions, and those who need to move for health or welfare reasons—regardless of nationality.

And - for the avoidance of doubt because I've seen it trawled out a number of times despite it being obviously wrong that 'illegals get given a council house straight away'.... People here illegally are of course not entitled to any benefits or social housing at all

There's a good Full Fact article here: https://fullfact.org/immigration/illegal-immigration-council-housing/

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, cuttsie said:

That is a load of rubbish, Where we live on a smashing council estate   , As the old ones die off and the house becomes for rent the priority is obvious , Young addicts getting old folks bungalows,  Immigrants also in the local semi and flats .    Our own kids from long standing Sheffield families black or white, do not get a look in , they are stuck living with mam and dad presumably for ever .

The arrogance required to tell people they're talking rubbish when you know nothing yourself is pretty astounding. See SF's post and the Full Fact article if you want to know what's rubbish and what's not. I used to use part 6 and part 7 of the Housing Act every day, I know how it works. You didn't and you don't.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Delbow said:

The arrogance required to tell people they're talking rubbish when you know nothing yourself is pretty astounding. See SF's post and the Full Fact article if you want to know what's rubbish and what's not. I used to use part 6 and part 7 of the Housing Act every day, I know how it works. You didn't and you don't.

Well what we on our little council estate see, we see with our own eyes , So You know what to do with article 6 and part of 7 .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

Social housing allocation is based on need, not on migration status or nationality.

Councils use a point system, or bands, to decide who gets priority for homes. Priority groups are those who are homeless or fleeing violence, live in overcrowded or very bad housing conditions, and those who need to move for health or welfare reasons—regardless of nationality.

And - for the avoidance of doubt because I've seen it trawled out a number of times despite it being obviously wrong that 'illegals get given a council house straight away'.... People here illegally are of course not entitled to any benefits or social housing at all

There's a good Full Fact article here: https://fullfact.org/immigration/illegal-immigration-council-housing/

Is that why so many are put up in hotels and given benefits?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cressida said:

Is there anyone on here,  ex council who can clarify this because I can understand both points of view,  it has been mentioned on other forums that youngsters can't afford to live in places they were brought up in - have one child and they will get the parental home eventually,  have two or more and

it becomes a case of dividing the sale of house profit.

With regards to council housing;

From what is on the Sheffield Council website, I believe this is covered by "Right to Succeed".

You And Your Home

It's on page 14-15.