2 for the Euros - 2024 version

On 02/07/2024 at 21:09, Thirsty Relic said:

there will be an update when all the next round teams are known........

I'm glad to see my pick, France scraping through- quality penalties.

However, not overly excited with their football- a bit like England tbh.

Spain look very good- but still some good teams out there.

1 hour ago, wearysmith said:

Anyone think England might surprise us all? Give the Swiss a 5-0 hiding? We've got to turn it on at some point.

At the moment, it does seem that any opponents stand a chance of scoring at least 1 goal against us so I'll go 3 - 1 England today. 

Apparently, word is that Southgate is going to go for a back 3 instead of a back 4,  dropping Saka into the  left back position.  Something that Ian Wright suggested two games ago. 

Maybe we should give Wright the job?  At least he shows a bit of passion. 

One of mine went yesterday, the Germans.  My other lot, the French just managed to scrape through on penalties in a dire game against Portugal.  C'mon le Bleus! 

After match pundits, Lineker & Ferdinand were banging out about players being tired 'After long, hard seasons' going into the Euro's.  "We must protect players", reckons Ferdinand.  "Scrap extra time & go straight to penalties", says Lineker. 

Long hard seasons?  Someone point them in the direction of Sir Mark Cavendish who does 100 miles+ day, most days of the year. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, ukdobby said:

Listening to talksport they said Southgate is a successful England manager,I can’t think why,don’t you have to win something to be successful?

I think based on where the team has got to (in few of these major competitions) some consider him a 'success'.

Why oh Why do we always end up telling the press (and the opposition of course) well (often days) before every match who is playing, what system we will use etc etc.  It's been going on all this competition as well. 

Now out opponents know they don't have to worry about Kyle Walker bombing down the wing, as he's playing centre back, or Saka's pace and trickery up front as he's joining attacks late as a wing-back.  No fast breaks from us then!

Just for once I'd like to see a side being uncovered at the last time possible, to spring a surprise to the opposition.  Just imagine the dramatic last minute changes in Swiss tackitics needed if Southgate uncovered Gordon and Toney were starting in place of Kane and Foden!

23 minutes ago, Baz1 said:

I think based on where the team has got to (in few of these major competitions) some consider him a 'success'.

Well have become a society that appears to applaud & reward mediocrity.  Football appears to be no different to other areas of UK society.   No doubt whatever the outcome of the Euro's, Gareth's in line for a New Year Knighthood & if we make it to the final & win it, whoever scores England's winning goal will be expecting sainthood status. 

6 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Why oh Why do we always end up telling the press (and the opposition of course) well (often days) before every match who is playing, what system we will use etc etc.  It's been going on all this competition as well. 

Now out opponents know they don't have to worry about Kyle Walker bombing down the wing, as he's playing centre back, or Saka's pace and trickery up front as he's joining attacks late as a wing-back.  No fast breaks from us then!

Just for once I'd like to see a side being uncovered at the last time possible, to spring a surprise to the opposition.  Just imagine the dramatic last minute changes in Swiss tackitics needed if Southgate uncovered Gordon and Toney were starting in place of Kane and Foden!

My bold. 

Well when we played Slovenia & Slovakia, as pointed out by the various pundits, we knew full well that both of them would be set up as a 4-4-2 because they always set up as 4-4-2.  They've been playing this formation for years. 

They both did but we still struggled against both of them.