2 for the Euros - 2024 version

9 hours ago, Alextopman said:

Really?.

May be an image of 4 people, people playing football, people playing soccer and text

I hate to break it to you, but football boots have studs. If you can tell me which law of the game forbids a defender (or any player) from raising their boot so that their studs are visible, then I'll concede. If the defender in that scenario above doesn't extend their leg to try to block the shot, meaning that their studs are showing, then how are they meant to block it? The answer is, they can't. Which is basically the same as saying you can't use your foot to block a shot, which is ridiculous.

45 minutes ago, Delbow said:

I hate to break it to you, but football boots have studs. If you can tell me which law of the game forbids a defender (or any player) from raising their boot so that their studs are visible, then I'll concede. If the defender in that scenario above doesn't extend their leg to try to block the shot, meaning that their studs are showing, then how are they meant to block it? The answer is, they can't. Which is basically the same as saying you can't use your foot to block a shot, which is ridiculous.

I'd like to see that referee's bank balance after that game..

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

So you now concede the studs are showing now.

A ‘studs up’ tackle is considered to be violent conduct and made when a player lunges into a tackle with a leg or both legs outstretched exposing the soles of their boots, referees are encouraged to brand players who commit such challenges with a red card.

24 minutes ago, Alextopman said:

So you now concede the studs are showing now.

A ‘studs up’ tackle is considered to be violent conduct and made when a player lunges into a tackle with a leg or both legs outstretched exposing the soles of their boots, referees are encouraged to brand players who commit such challenges with a red card.

But this wasn't a tackle and he didn't lunge. He's gone to block a shot with his foot, which was then hit by Kane's foot. Law 12 makes no mention of studs. 

4 minutes ago, Delbow said:

But this wasn't a tackle and he didn't lunge. He's gone to block a shot with his foot, which was then hit by Kane's foot. Law 12 makes no mention of studs. 

According to the International Football Association Board (IFAB) rules, actions deemed careless, reckless, or using excessive force must be penalized. In this instance, Dumfries' high boot and the resultant contact with Kane fit the criteria for a foul.

1 minute ago, Alextopman said:

According to the International Football Association Board (IFAB) rules, actions deemed careless, reckless, or using excessive force must be penalized. In this instance, Dumfries' high boot and the resultant contact with Kane fit the criteria for a foul.

If Dumfries's boot was 'high' and it collided with Kane's boot, then Kane's boot is also 'high'. Neither are dangerously high, it was a normal height ball for a shot, you've gone a bit mad now. 

2 minutes ago, Delbow said:

If Dumfries's boot was 'high' and it collided with Kane's boot, then Kane's boot is also 'high'. Neither are dangerously high, it was a normal height ball for a shot, you've gone a bit mad now. 

How have I gone mad?.

My quote is from  a VAR expert.

12 minutes ago, Alextopman said:

How have I gone mad?.

My quote is from  a VAR expert.

VAR, UEFA and FIFA have all gone mad. It follows that if Dumfries's boot is high, then Kane's is as well - by the logic you've given, since Kane raised his foot first, a foul should have been given against him. All the refs I know said they definitely wouldn't have given it. UEFA and FIFA are making football a non-contact sport, but for everyone else it is a contact sport.

5 minutes ago, Delbow said:

VAR, UEFA and FIFA have all gone mad. It follows that if Dumfries's boot is high, then Kane's is as well - by the logic you've given, since Kane raised his foot first, a foul should have been given against him. All the refs I know said they definitely wouldn't have given it. UEFA and FIFA are making football a non-contact sport, but for everyone else it is a contact sport.

A  high kick is not against the rules, a high challenge with studs is.