New Broadband

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Snowglobe said:

My package finishes in the next few months, BT's charges creep up every year so I'm considering Plus net as they are substantially cheaper for a similar package

Plusnet are the no-frills brand of the BT Consumer Group. They are OK, have a very active support community, but are definitely 'no frills'. Note that moving there though will mean you will have to arrange your own VOIP phone service, they don't offer one, and your landline will cease if you move.

Plusnet has been trying to get me to move over to BT because eventually they are only doing  broadband. I have a landline but don't use it very often but it is a backup if something goes wrong with my mobile. 

If I move over to BT will need to move to a Voip Service which is replacing the landline. I am not  sure what that is, some sort of router I think or how good it is. Also I will be on a 2 year contract, don't like these long contracts but all Internet providers are doing the same.  Cant decide what to do at the moment. Might leave it until the new year. 

The digital landline supplied by BT and Vodafone simply need you to plug a compatible handset into a designated phone port on the router, only downside is it won't operate if you have a power cut.

2 hours ago, peteh1 said:

The digital landline supplied by BT and Vodafone simply need you to plug a compatible handset into a designated phone port on the router, only downside is it won't operate if you have a power cut.

Yes I was told it won’t work if there is a power cut.  I’ll give it some thought then decide in the new year what I’m going to do. Thank you

• 1 month later...

I've already commented elsewhere about this. When you see the adverts for the major ISP's they do include the small print that rental rates will increase in March of each year by the current rate of inflation, plus 3%! That is why I will be moving to a 4g dongle attached to my router, come end of next year when copper gets switched off. And avoid having to buy a digital handset. All relatives have been notified of this move!