What's The Worst Place That You've Ever Broken Down In Your Car/Vehicle? Share Your Breakdown Tales

I had a long ish period of my life where I frequently broke down, different cars and not necessarily old cars, and regularly serviced. The worst was in a pickup, coming off the slip road at junction 36 in the outside lane just before the start of rush hour. Fortunately, someone stopped and held up the traffic while I was able to roll back onto the hard shoulder. It was a towing job, head gasket. It let me down again in Rotherham weeks later, another tow in. Head gasket again! Another vehicle, a problem with the clutch cable, came to a full stop, had to be towed. Yet another vehicle, going up Broad Lane, the gear lever became loose and stopped working (turned out to 'be an issue' with that year and model) The Green Star callout did a temporary fix to get me home. Next, a pickup truck on London Rd, comes to a full stop. My fault this time - it was the time when it had become legal to use vegetable oil in limited amounts in diesel engines. I knew a bloke who had lots of used veg oil who supplied me with the stuff. :D  - I researched it and bought what were claimed to be suitable filters from ebay and filtered it in the garage. Obviously, not good enough because the pickup had stopped due to a clogged fuel filter... fortunately this was an old vehicle I'd bought to do a bit of work, another one where I had to be towed. Share your stories! 

On holiday when I was a kid - broke down in a Renault 12 (rubbish car) in the arse end of nowhere in Dumfrieshire, no sign of human existence for miles. Plenty of goats, plenty of cattle, plenty of countryside but no people. Waited what felt like a couple of aeons for the recovery truck to arrive and got towed to Dumfries where we waited the whole day for the repair to be done. It lashed it down the whole day and we exhausted all that Dumfries had to offer after an hour. I bet my dad was gagging for a pint at the end of that day. 

Also a memorable holiday for my dad losing the car key (can't remember if this was before or after the breakdown) while we were out. I ran back to the hill to look for it and found it where he'd been sitting. Came back triumphant but he refused to believe I hadn't deliberately put it there to claim the glory for some reason not explained.

57 minutes ago, Delbow said:

On holiday when I was a kid - broke down in a Renault 12 (rubbish car) in the arse end of nowhere in Dumfrieshire, no sign of human existence for miles. Plenty of goats, plenty of cattle, plenty of countryside but no people. Waited what felt like a couple of aeons for the recovery truck to arrive and got towed to Dumfries where we waited the whole day for the repair to be done. It lashed it down the whole day and we exhausted all that Dumfries had to offer after an hour. I bet my dad was gagging for a pint at the end of that day. 

Also a memorable holiday for my dad losing the car key (can't remember if this was before or after the breakdown) while we were out. I ran back to the hill to look for it and found it where he'd been sitting. Came back triumphant but he refused to believe I hadn't deliberately put it there to claim the glory for some reason not explained.

Sounds like a nightmare of a day! Bad that your Dad did not give you credit for finding the key. Sort of thing you remember over the years. (Well, I probably would)

38 minutes ago, Draggletail said:

Sounds like a nightmare of a day! Bad that your Dad did not give you credit for finding the key. Sort of thing you remember over the years. (Well, I probably would)

44 years and counting!

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

I once broke down in my car when I dropped my packet of peanuts . It was very traumatic . 

Shocked! Did you have to phone Green Flag to recover them for you? :hihi:

32 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

I once broke down in my car when I dropped my packet of peanuts . It was very traumatic . 

No more tales of you spilling your nuts all over the car seat please.

• Haha 1

Coming home from Southport,  car stopped on a long road,  terraced houses,  the man came out and invited the five of us into his house,  phoned AA for us,  I remember sitting on a long settle,  we were only kids - what stars that couple  were,  never forgotten it.

• Like 1

Car electrics went dead just as we started coming down Blue Bank the long steep 1in5 hill into Sleights nr Whitby. Brakes didn't work right and we white knuckled it all the way to the bridge over the river at the bottom, which as it happens is where our holiday let was. A local garage which looked like something from the 1940's got it fixed for us.