Becoming A Dad, The Most Meaningful Thing That I've Ever Done. Parent Or Not, Share Your Thoughts.

Never had children.  Never wanted them.  The idea of having a tiny nubbin of utter helplessness entirely dependant on you is quite frankly terrifying, even more so the prospect of trying to raise that nubbin to be a happy, secure, confident and independent adult.  Hats off to all those courageous souls who've done it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bellatrix said:

Never had children.  Never wanted them.  The idea of having a tiny nubbin of utter helplessness entirely dependant on you is quite frankly terrifying, even more so the prospect of trying to raise that nubbin to be a happy, secure, confident and independent adult.  Hats off to all those courageous souls who've done it.

For most of my adult life I've thought this way, and still do in the main, however.

A couple of years ago one of my mates kids came and watched t.v with me, climbed onto my knee and just layed on top of me and eventually fell asleep, it was lovely.  I can only imagine if that were your own, the feeling must be ten-fold.

Coming home from work and never experienced my kid running up to me to welcome me home is something i will regret, not something that keeps me up at night mind but a wee regret.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

For most of my adult life I've thought this way, and still do in the main, however.

A couple of years ago one of my mates kids came and watched t.v with me, climbed onto my knee and just layed on top of me and eventually fell asleep, it was lovely.  I can only imagine if that were your own, the feeling must be ten-fold.

Coming home from work and never experienced my kid running up to me to welcome me home is something i will regret, not something that keeps me up at night mind but a wee regret.

This is all true.  But that's a perspective that's essentially selfish: your nice experience of the kid.  And you forgot that when the kid went home it found its way into a cupboard, prised the lid off a tin of emulsion, drank half of it and poured the rest on the dog.  Not quite so lovely.

When I thought about kids I examined the task (conclusion: monumentally, indescribably difficult) and had a look at myself: background, personality and experiences, and knew I wasn't up to it for reasons many and varied. 

1 hour ago, Bellatrix said:

This is all true.  But that's a perspective that's essentially selfish: your nice experience of the kid.  And you forgot that when the kid went home it found its way into a cupboard, prised the lid off a tin of emulsion, drank half of it and poured the rest on the dog.  Not quite so lovely.

When I thought about kids I examined the task (conclusion: monumentally, indescribably difficult) and had a look at myself: background, personality and experiences, and knew I wasn't up to it for reasons many and varied. 

And then they grow up!

My two little rat-bags have grown into self opinionated know all's.

Their forever using Dads taxi service, knocking on Dads bank door, and using Dads home improvement service.

Just received my Fathers day card, same one they sent me 40 odd years ago.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Al Bundy said:

Men are biologically able to have children whenever,  you could even have a donor,  I'm guessing your partner is over 45 years.

18 hours ago, Padders said:

You are very fortunate to have two boys Mr. Draggletail.

I'm cursed with two daughters who still "Think" their teenagers.

I have to do as I'm told, their bossy and manipulative, and if I don't comply with their orders, I'm put on the naughty step..

I call them the "Ungrateful's"

I'm fortunate enough to have a fortune stashed away, and they can't wait to get their grubby hands on it.

They make me do dangerous things in the hope of polishing me off.

Next thing on their agenda is a gentle stroll (they tell me) up Mt. Snowdon.

Then it's a week of hell in September.  Benidorm.

This Sunday it's dinnertime at my youngest, a plate as big as a bin lid stuffed with un-imaginable food, hoping I'll explode.

Funny thing is, when they want me to help them (which is often) they get all lovey dovey, Daaaadddyy can you do me this!

Kids, who'd have em.......

Don't believe a word, so funny though  😂 Just a thought, Mr Draggletail sounds so formal. I'm happy with "Draggle" Up to you of course Mr Padders! 😉

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Padders said:

You are very fortunate to have two boys Mr. Draggletail.

I'm cursed with two daughters who still "Think" their teenagers.

I have to do as I'm told, their bossy and manipulative, and if I don't comply with their orders, I'm put on the naughty step..

I call them the "Ungrateful's"

I'm fortunate enough to have a fortune stashed away, and they can't wait to get their grubby hands on it.

They make me do dangerous things in the hope of polishing me off.

Next thing on their agenda is a gentle stroll (they tell me) up Mt. Snowdon.

Then it's a week of hell in September.  Benidorm.

This Sunday it's dinnertime at my youngest, a plate as big as a bin lid stuffed with un-imaginable food, hoping I'll explode.

Funny thing is, when they want me to help them (which is often) they get all lovey dovey, Daaaadddyy can you do me this!

Kids, who'd have em.......

Come on ! You love it  😂😂😂😂😂

7 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

I think my one big regret is not having a kid, because I think I would be a fantastic dad.

I'm sorry to hear that Al Bundy. I suppose we all have regrets in life, but that seems to be a big one to me.  

1 hour ago, cressida said:

Men are biologically able to have children whenever,  you could even have a donor,  I'm guessing your partner is over 45 years.

She is 42, but has a son from a previous marriage.

No way are we having a child I am just giving my thoughts.

Her son is 13 and we have a great relationship so I will make do with that!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Draggletail said:

I'm sorry to hear that Al Bundy. I suppose we all have regrets in life, but that seems to be a big one to me.  

It doesn't keep me up at night put it that way!