Leasehold question

Purchased our house over 10yrs years ago, not having lived in a leasehold house before we were unaware we had to ask permission to do major alterations I:e knock walls down, new windows & doors etc. 
If we decided to purchase the freehold reversion ( I think that’s its name) would they send somebody around to check the house for such alterations, if they did would we possibly have to pay them large sums of money? 
For the past 5years the yearly fee hasn’t been paid as the solicitors we used to pay it to said they weren’t doing it anymore and we would hear from the owner of the lease/freehold reversion in due course, we haven’t.
There’s over 700 years left to run , don’t know if that makes any difference. 
thanks in anticipation 

It’s just not worth the while of the freeholder following up peppercorn payments, they could charge you for permissions to alter the structure of the property, but then again not worth the effort. If you were to apply to buy the freehold interest then legal costs would apply, however it wouldn’t cost anything to ask for quotes.

2 hours ago, littlebasher said:

How would they even know what it used to look like inside?

I doubt anyone bothers asking permission for anything

Well they can still see the photos that were used when we bought the house. Just have to go to Right Moves Sold Prices and it’s all there.

I too think most don’t ask for permission if like us we were totally unaware we had to get their agreement. We just thought you paid a nominal yearly fee (£6:50 in our case) and that was all. 

1 hour ago, stylefree said:

When filling forms there nay be a question asking about any structural alterations extensions etc as tis would add value to the property 

True I’d not even thought of that. 🥴

On 20/06/2024 at 18:48, stylefree said:

When filling forms there nay be a question asking about any structural alterations extensions etc as tis would add value to the property 

No, the Notice of Claim does not contain such a question.