Ever been refused service in a pub

Was out in Clapham on Saturday and we were talking about this. Happened to me a few years ago. Lady behind the bar thought I was drunk. I wasn't, had only had 1 beer that evening. I didn't argue and got a drink from the bar next door.

Sort of. We were on holiday in  Rhyl, North Wales. I asked for a pint of something and it ran off about half way through the pour, so they went to another beer tap and finished filling the pint with a completely different beer! I pointed this out to them, and they told me if I didn't like it I could **** off. I asked to see the manager and was told that he was the manager and I could **** off.  It's a long time ago and I got the overall impression that tourists weren't well tolerated there.  Had a much better experience years later in South Wales!

Never! I’ve got a Flemish partner and what normally happens when we go into a British pub, they ask what he wants and he casually says “Do you sell beer?” And they gesture to the taps and he says “Yes, but I’m from Belgium and come from a town with a Trappist brewery. Do you sell BEER?” At this point they usually give him a free taster from every single tap.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Slighty batty said:

Never! I’ve got a Flemish partner and what normally happens when we go into a British pub, they ask what he wants and he casually says “Do you sell beer?” And they gesture to the taps and he says “Yes, but I’m from Belgium and come from a town with a Trappist brewery. Do you sell BEER?” At this point they usually give him a free taster from every single tap.

Love it!

• Like 1

Once in a pub in London asked for 3 pints and was told "we only sell half measures in this establishment "my reply was giz 6 half's then mi.old 🤣🤣🤣🤣

13 hours ago, Draggletail said:

Sort of. We were on holiday in  Rhyl, North Wales. I asked for a pint of something and it ran off about half way through the pour, so they went to another beer tap and finished filling the pint with a completely different beer! I pointed this out to them, and they told me if I didn't like it I could **** off. I asked to see the manager and was told that he was the manager and I could **** off.  It's a long time ago and I got the overall impression that tourists weren't well tolerated there.  Had a much better experience years later in South Wales!

Hmm. North Wales. A mate of mine ran a boozer in Connahs Quay many years back. Further along the north coast toward England, but still very much in Wales. The regulars would talk in English until a stranger walked in, then they’d talk in Welsh. 
Last time I was in Rhyl over 10 years back it was almost like being in a third world country, really run down. I understand it’s improved since.

3 hours ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

Hmm. North Wales. A mate of mine ran a boozer in Connahs Quay many years back. Further along the north coast toward England, but still very much in Wales. The regulars would talk in English until a stranger walked in, then they’d talk in Welsh. 
Last time I was in Rhyl over 10 years back it was almost like being in a third world country, really run down. I understand it’s improved since.

Going from Connah's Quay towards England is a 5 mile journey across the River Dee a mostly private industrial  area.  No sea or coast. You probably mean away from England travelling north west up the estuary to get the North Wales Coast at Prestatyn were there are pockets of Welsh spoken.

You are right about Rhyl-a dumping ground for scousers and mancs and certainly no place to hear Welsh.

My quick reply to this the language bit is that your mate(like all the others who repat this myth) should work as Private Investigators. Their ability to hear through walls, doors and windows and listen to conversations is a wonderful skill

The proper reply is there is an element of truth to this, as it is only when you sit down with your drink do you actually begin listen that you realize that a spoken language like Welsh uses/contains loads of English or English derived slang in conversation. So if a group  were talking premier football as you walked in you would hear familiar players and team names but only later would realize that you don't understand the content.         Another common situation is when a group are talking to each other the conversation often flips in and out of English as one or more of the local is more comfortable speaking English but understand Welsh perfectly well. The locals really don't care.

PS There are very few nasty swear words used in Wales that are not understandable in English, and there as many Welsh speakers living in England with English accents(to them) that it would be a very stupid person who would insult anybody in Welsh in Wales. For some reason they do do in other countries!

1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Going from Connah's Quay towards England is a 5 mile journey across the River Dee a mostly private industrial  area.  No sea or coast. You probably mean away from England travelling north west up the estuary to get the North Wales Coast at Prestatyn were there are pockets of Welsh spoken.

You are right about Rhyl-a dumping ground for scousers and mancs and certainly no place to hear Welsh.

My quick reply to this the language bit is that your mate(like all the others who repat this myth) should work as Private Investigators. Their ability to hear through walls, doors and windows and listen to conversations is a wonderful skill

The proper reply is there is an element of truth to this, as it is only when you sit down with your drink do you actually begin listen that you realize that a spoken language like Welsh uses/contains loads of English or English derived slang in conversation. So if a group  were talking premier football as you walked in you would hear familiar players and team names but only later would realize that you don't understand the content.         Another common situation is when a group are talking to each other the conversation often flips in and out of English as one or more of the local is more comfortable speaking English but understand Welsh perfectly well. The locals really don't care.

PS There are very few nasty swear words used in Wales that are not understandable in English, and there as many Welsh speakers living in England with English accents(to them) that it would be a very stupid person who would insult anybody in Welsh in Wales. For some reason they do do in other countries!

What a load of waffle. Read and quote on what I wrote, not what you think I wrote. Connahs Quay is further along the coast from Rhyl, heading TOWARD England, but still in Wales. It’s on the old road heading west only a couple of miles from Chester, which is most definitely in England, through Queensferry and Shotton. It is the old coast road, the A548 which was the main and only road along the coast before the A55 dual carriageway was built. I would have been in serious trouble if I’d driven my coach through an industrial area and a river on the old National Express service that serviced all points along the coast.

My mate didn’t need the ability to hear through walls doors and windows. He ran the pub, he was there behind the bar serving drinks to people who addressed him in English and spoke in English until a non regular came into the pub, when they’d switch to Welsh.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

It's good to learn a foreign language you should see the Polish in skeggy chippies when I answer back in polish 😇

• Haha 1