Ever been refused service in a pub

7 hours ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

Hmm. North Wales. A mate of mine ran a boozer in Connahs Quay many years back. Further along the north coast toward England, but still very much in Wales. The regulars would talk in English until a stranger walked in, then they’d talk in Welsh. 
Last time I was in Rhyl over 10 years back it was almost like being in a third world country, really run down. I understand it’s improved since.

I can empathise with you there. Every time I go to my local in France the customers  always start speaking in French. Rude or what !

8 hours ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

Hmm. North Wales. A mate of mine ran a boozer in Connahs Quay many years back. Further along the north coast toward England, but still very much in Wales. The regulars would talk in English until a stranger walked in, then they’d talk in Welsh. 

Funny! 🤣

I was once refused service in the Frog and Parrot for my attire. I was once refused service in a Pub tap room ( vaults in Manchester), in Manchester because I was with my girlfriend, and women weren’t allowed in the tap room.

2 hours ago, gaz 786 said:

It's good to learn a foreign language you should see the Polish in skeggy chippies when I answer back in polish 😇

For those who aren’t good at learning foreign languages, you need a teeshirt like my boyfriends 

IMG_1213.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Draggletail said:

Discrimination that! :shocked: What year was it? (ish)

Not sure about discrimination Draggletail. Back in the day it was a thing to have men only rooms in pubs and clubs. The women didn’t object because they knew what might be going on in there.

3 minutes ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

Not sure about discrimination Draggletail. Back in the day it was a thing to have men only rooms in pubs and clubs. The women didn’t object because they knew what might be going on in there.

I understand that it was the thing to do way back, but my impression from the post was that it was in more recent years having happened in the Frog and Parrot on Division St, so maybe 80s onward. 😉

• Like 1

I had the same as YorkieontheTyne. It was early 70s I was in the TA and we went to North Wales a place called Capel Curig. Four of us  went into the local pub and the locals was talking in English but when we tried ordering a pint they all started to speak Welsh and we were ignored. They soon realised we wasn't just the 4 of us when around 200 others started coming through the door. 😄