Ever been refused service in a pub

4 hours ago, alan p said:

I had the same as YorkieontheTyne. It was early 70s I was in the TA and we went to North Wales a place called Capel Curig. Four of us  went into the local pub and the locals was talking in English but when we tried ordering a pint they all started to speak Welsh and we were ignored. They soon realised we wasn't just the 4 of us when around 200 others started coming through the door. 😄

1 in 3 chances I served you as I used to work the Cobden's and sometimes the other two Hotels in Capel

Closing time was 10.30 and closed on Sunday. Used to be full of hikers, climbers and Army which - too much noise and too pricey for the few local people who would go over the hill to Trefriw/Llanrwst, where there were pubs that were cheaper and open longer and on Sundays.  

Got barred from the Stonehouse when the manager recognised my mate who they had thrown out a few weeks previously when his face ran into another man's fist.  Granted he was trying it on with the said fist's attached man's girlfriend at the time.

On 20/06/2024 at 15:54, gaz 786 said:

It's good to learn a foreign language you should see the Polish in skeggy chippies when I answer back in polish 😇

Used to work with a chap in central Sheffield in the ‘60s who’d spent many years in the Far East pre war.

About once a week we went out from the offices at lunchtime to a Chinese restaurant to get a quick cheap meal. The staff looked agog when they were chattering between themselves  in Cantonese and Jim interjected speaking their language fluently.

echo.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, echo beach said:

Used to work with a chap in central Sheffield in the ‘60s who’d spent many years in the Far East pre war.

About once a week we went out from the offices at lunchtime to a Chinese restaurant to get a quick cheap meal. The staff looked agog when they were chattering between themselves  in Cantonese and Jim interjected speaking their language fluently.

echo.

Spent many a lunch time in the Zing Vaa down t’Moor.

9 minutes ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

A Chinese lad who went to Chesterfield Tech at the same time as me and my mates used to work there and got us discount when we went for a meal.

Our favourite after a night out in Derbyshire was tha Golden Dragon on Matilda Street.

I can’t remember the name of the one we mostly frequented at lunchtimes but I think it was on Cross Burgess Street. Happy days!

echo.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

I used to go there with my girlfriend on a Saturday lunchtime. I remember their 'famous' food poisoning incident in the 80's, meat juices dripping down onto other food in the fridge. I think it took them a while to recover from that after the Sheffield Star reported it. :roll:

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Draggletail said:

I used to go there with my girlfriend on a Saturday lunchtime. I remember their 'famous' food poisoning incident in the 80's, meat juices dripping down onto other food in the fridge. I think it took them a while to recover from that after the Sheffield Star reported it. :roll:

It also took the punters some time to recover!

For a long time they were using Remy Martin VSOP brandy as the house brandy. That was another, very expensive error. Good grub though, most of the time.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

It also took the punters some time to recover!

For a long time they were using Remy Martin VSOP brandy as the house brandy. That was another, very expensive error. Good grub though, most of the time.

Nice little bargain on the side though! :D 

• Like 1

I was refused service in a bar in Essen, Germany in 1976.  I don't think they appreciated my Sheffield accent.  Fortunately, my German friend intervened and I had my glass of 'alt beer'.

On 20/06/2024 at 13:56, Annie Bynnol said:

Going from Connah's Quay towards England is a 5 mile journey across the River Dee a mostly private industrial  area.  No sea or coast. You probably mean away from England travelling north west up the estuary to get the North Wales Coast at Prestatyn were there are pockets of Welsh spoken.

You are right about Rhyl-a dumping ground for scousers and mancs and certainly no place to hear Welsh.

My quick reply to this the language bit is that your mate(like all the others who repat this myth) should work as Private Investigators. Their ability to hear through walls, doors and windows and listen to conversations is a wonderful skill

The proper reply is there is an element of truth to this, as it is only when you sit down with your drink do you actually begin listen that you realize that a spoken language like Welsh uses/contains loads of English or English derived slang in conversation. So if a group  were talking premier football as you walked in you would hear familiar players and team names but only later would realize that you don't understand the content.         Another common situation is when a group are talking to each other the conversation often flips in and out of English as one or more of the local is more comfortable speaking English but understand Welsh perfectly well. The locals really don't care.

PS There are very few nasty swear words used in Wales that are not understandable in English, and there as many Welsh speakers living in England with English accents(to them) that it would be a very stupid person who would insult anybody in Welsh in Wales. For some reason they do do in other countries!

Completely irrelevant to the subject, but we have 6 native languages in the UK if you count Cornish and Irish Gaelic and we generally only teach English, Polish is the second most spoken language in the UK and we don't teach that either, I think we're missing out.