Ever been refused service in a pub

I was refused service many years ago in the Cutlers in Rotherham, I took a pint back cos it was cloudy, so they refused to serve me and barred me, my wife mother-in-law and father-in-law walked out with me.

In the mid ‘60s I worked in the offices of the NCB in Sheffield. A couple of similar aged colleagues and me all applied for the same vacancy in South Wales and we were all invited down to Cardiff for interviews.

So off we trotted in my car having booked a hotel to stay in that night. We decided that evening that while we were down there we would visit the Tiger Bay area to see what it was like. In those days it was renowned for being a raucous district where you could drink and dance all night, gamble, score drugs and meet ladies of questionable virtue.

Everything was fine. We’d had a couple of drinks in the local bars, been propositioned by a tall attractive coloured lady who offered to ‘pluck our cherry for £5 each’ and then came across this nightclub, whose name I can’t recall, but recall the entrance was up a long flight of stairs where at the top stood a colossus of a bouncer. My friends  went up first but when I got halfway up the bouncer pointed at me and growled “He’s not coming in!” at which point we all did an about turn and continued on our pub crawl so never reached the bar in that particular place.

I like to think that the bouncer’s reaction was not that I looked drunk or presented a threat but with my boyish looks he thought I was under age!😄

The next day we all had interviews and none of us were successful although I did hear later, after I’d moved employers, that one of the lads had moved down to Cardiff with the Coal Board.

Maybe he subsequently gained entry to the club, I’ll never know but I’ve often thought that I should have engraved on my headstone ‘Here lies a soul who once was refused entry to a Tiger Bay nightclub!’😆

echo.

19 hours ago, Uggy said:

Completely irrelevant to the subject, but we have 6 native languages in the UK if you count Cornish and Irish Gaelic and we generally only teach English, Polish is the second most spoken language in the UK and we don't teach that either, I think we're missing out.

The UK Government has decided to give the devolved Governments decision powers over language policy and their nations curriculum. Individual schools and colleges decide which languages are offered and taught. Welsh has legal status within Wales. 

The UK Government decides language policy and the English national curriculum.

1 minute ago, Annie Bynnol said:

The UK Government has decided to give the devolved Governments decision powers over language policy and their nations curriculum. Individual schools and colleges decide which languages are offered and taught. Welsh has legal status within Wales. 

The UK Government decides language policy and the English national curriculum.

Thank you very much for the information, I still think that in England our native languages should be taught, I also think it strange that the language with the most speakers in the UK is ignored, Polish. French, Spanish and German are taught in most schools, but the total number of speakers, was the last time I looked, less than the total number speaking Polish.

I always took it as those are the languages you are more likely to need to be able to speak when travelling as we are more likely to travel to France and Spanish speaking countries. German was always an outlier I thought but it's a second language for a lot of the mid European countries such as I assume Poland. Really we should all be learning Cantonese, mandarin or Urdu if we go off population of the world?

35 minutes ago, Andy_terrier said:

I always took it as those are the languages you are more likely to need to be able to speak when travelling as we are more likely to travel to France and Spanish speaking countries. German was always an outlier I thought but it's a second language for a lot of the mid European countries such as I assume Poland. Really we should all be learning Cantonese, mandarin or Urdu if we go off population of the world?

Urdu and Punjabi were offered in certain parts of Sheffield in the 80s, I don't know wether they still are, but Sheffield has a large Polish community but that seems to be ignored.

I have to admit the native language and Polish teaching are relatively new considerations for me.

It should be reviewed for appropriateness I believe instead of just ploughing on with what was done before.  But that's the same with a lot of subjects.

Its interesting that the % split in this country is as such though.

While Native languages and Polish are relatively new considerations for me, I've long thought that our teaching of languages leaves much to be desired, I can't believe that we're worse than virtually every other nation at learning languages, and I agree that English is almost ubiquitous abroad, but surely we should start with conversational teaching first and academic if interest grows.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...