Harlequin, Nursery St

On 21/07/2024 at 13:17, wearysmith said:

Great place to start the Real Ale Trail. Then on to the Riverside, Fat Cat, Kelham Island Tavern, Shakespeare's and finish of with a mega blow-out at 7 Spices.

Proper pub crawl.

I'd have to do it the other way around or I'd be hammered 😟

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Delbow said:

I'd have to do it the other way around or I'd be hammered 😟

We did it once when an American friend came over. We actually started in the Sheffield Tap, then got 3 taxis to the Harlequin. Took us from 12.00 lunchtime till gone 11 when we'd finished eating in 'Spices'. A couple in all 6 pubs, then drinks with our Indian. We rushed nothing. Started with 14 people and finished with 14 people. A real laid back afternoon/evening. Wife and I said the same thing; we'll probably not even remember how we get home. Didn't work out that way. Mind you, that was a decade back. Now I have to wee 3 times an hour so all those pints would now be rums 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Now Then has run with the angle of it being inclusive as the pub under previous management had got into a mess with their Twitter/X account that had turned rather toxic with the comments it attracted.

It reopens this Friday under the same management as the Rutland Arms and Crow following refurbishment with real ale and other craft beers, cider, wine and spirits -  sourced from independent producers wherever possible. They plan to add a simple but good quality pub food offering and live music events in the future. Opening hours on Friday is midday to midnight.

Edited by Andy C

Talking of pub crawls, here are all the venues around the Kelham Island / Neepsend area Kelham & Neepsend – CAMRA Sheffield & District

Its also not too far to walk the other way from the Harlequin to the Dorothy Pax on Victoria Quay.

For afternoon maneuvers there is also the option of going over the pedestrian river bridge past the home office building to the bus stop where you can jump on the free electric bus to the bus and rail stations, Moorhead and Moorfoot which also stops outside the Rutland Arms!

Edited by Andy C

Went in yesterday, had a couple of lovely pints and it was a nice atmosphere, mixed group of people (more traditional Harlequin punters and people more typical of the Rutland). 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We popped in for a couple last night.  It's definitely had a spruce up since we were last in.  Very nice. 

Think I've spotted Sheffield's most expensive beer at the moment?something described as 'Imperial barrel aged Porter.  12%.  £18 a pint! 

I never asked but presumably at that price you can buy it in 1/3 pints.