Ecclesall Road/Abbeydale Road Bus Corridors Receive £3.52 Million Funding

3 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

Maybe the 'Double Red Lines' proposal a few years back was actually the solution to the problems? 

It certainly makes enforcement easier and more efficient as camera enforcement of parking is allowed on red routes. So, culprits would be more likely to receive a souvenier of their stay.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Resident said:

This is not far off tbh. 

Fines don't work. The Wicker is a clear example of this. 

Once in a blue moon (happened ONCE in SIX years to my recollection) council and police grow a backbone for a few hours and start fining illegal parking on the Wicker. 

The next day all the illegal parking continues. 

It's time to change the penalty. SEIZE the illegally parked vehicle and impound it for 7 days. Once they start losing their cars and can't work then they'll learn. 

To give SCC their due, we drove through Burngreave & down Spital Hill on Saturday afternoon, around 16:45 & just before where the old East House pub used to there was a good half dozen of illegally parked cars being ticketed by two female Parking Enforcement Officers. 

Whether those fines are actually paid is another story?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Planner1 said:

It certainly makes enforcement easier and more efficient as camera enforcement of parking is allowed on red routes. So, culprits would be more likely to receive a souvenier of their stay.

But the offending vehicle would still be there holding up traffic . 

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

Whether those fines are actually paid is another story?

The council do pursue without exception all unpaid penalties to the extent of their and the courts powers.

Bailiffs are appointed by the courts  to collect unpaid fines and those who receive a visit from them do not find it a pleasant experience, as I can confirm from having to field many calls from anguished people with bailiffs at the door ready to seize their cars or other goods.

Some fines can’t be collected as there are vehicles with cloned plates or no registered keeper.

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

But they would have received a penalty, so are less likely to do it again.

If you want offending vehicles towed, go lobby your councillors. They’re the ones who decide on these matters.

22 hours ago, Planner1 said:

The fine is supposed to remind the driver not to contravene the restriction again. Even towing won’t stop people pushing their luck, it’s human nature.

Issuing fines (or the threat of them) generally keeps a lid on levels of inappropriate parking behaviour. If you doubt this, look what happened here when there was no parking enforcement for several months.

You are missing the point. I specifically bolded "enhancing connectivity and supporting sustainable transport initiatives"

A fine might put them off from doing it again, but the lane is still blocked, therefore not 'enhancing connectivity'. So no matter if they throw 3.51million at the problem or 20million at the problem, the car is still blocking the bus from getting past it. I don't know why a few posters are pulling me up on this. 

I know you've said it costs too much, and complain to the government - but this is the problem with that country and why things don't improve. Too much red tape, too many rules - so many rules in fact, that nothing becomes enforceable. 

This particular problem won't bother me, as I've moved abroad, but I see how things work in strict countries, and these problems are just dealt with better. 

19 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Hooray! Someone gets it! 

17 hours ago, Planner1 said:

But they would have received a penalty, so are less likely to do it again.

If you want offending vehicles towed, go lobby your councillors. They’re the ones who decide on these matters.

So we have to wait hundred years until every car driver gets a fine, :hihi:

I used to do this, when it affected me. You just get a standard reply. 

In fact, I sent the council a message (years ago) about the bad road markings approaching Moore St roundabout with a map on how to correct it (and posted in here) and they sent me a standard reply, and most responses in here were the usual 'learn how to drive' type crap. The a couple of years later, they adjusted the approach to exactly what I drew for them. Either someone saw my email/ or post, or there is at least someone with a brain in there.

Up to the 80s, when we had a terrific bus service, and fewer people had cars, the folk in the west of Sheffield didn't want to finance the buses cos they had cars, now they have the best bus service and we in the east have a crap public transport system.

2 hours ago, Uggy said:

Up to the 80s, when we had a terrific bus service, and fewer people had cars, the folk in the west of Sheffield didn't want to finance the buses cos they had cars, now they have the best bus service and we in the east have a crap public transport system.

Currently, most weekday daytime bus services are provided by operators for profit. 

If they thought they’d make more money by putting on more / more frequent services, they’d do it.

Last time I looked, the east end had rail,  tram and bus services and an interchange, so hardly a “crap” public transport system is it?

1 minute ago, Planner1 said:

Currently, most weekday daytime bus services are provided by operators for profit. 

If they thought they’d make more money by putting on more / more frequent services, they’d do it.

Last time I looked, the east end had rail,  tram and bus services and an interchange, so hardly a “crap” public transport system is it?

Yes

On 24/06/2024 at 12:50, SheffieldForum said:

Maybe the 'Double Red Lines' proposal a few years back was actually the solution to the problems? 

But, it didn't get local support and was heavily campaigned against.

It was campaigned against by people like a friend of mine who has a long established business there that would have been destroyed by this barmy scheme.......and rightly so.