Deadly attack against Jewish, Christian targets in Russia's Dagestan Republic

The violence began when armed individuals in black shirts opened fire on a synagogue and a church in Derbent, Dagestan.

A series of coordinated attacks on religious institutions unfolded Sunday evening across the North Caucasus region, specifically in Russia's Dagestan Republic and the self-declared state of Abkhazia. The Israeli Foreign Ministry confirmed that no Jewish worshippers were present in the attacked synagogue, and no Israeli or Jewish casualties were reported.

The violence began when armed individuals in black shirts opened fire on a synagogue and a church in Derbent, Dagestan. The attackers subsequently set fire to the synagogue, destroying it completely. The assault resulted in the deaths of six police officers and left 12 people injured. In Makhachkala, the capital of Dagestan, two churches came under attack. Reports indicate that a priest's throat was slit in one church, while a security guard was fatally shot at another.

Ongoing gunfire was reported in both Derbent and Makhachkala as authorities responded to the attacks.

In footage circulating from the scene, one of the attackers, identified as Osman Omarov, was heard saying, "Look, the synagogue of these infidels is burning. Inshallah, this is how we will humiliate them." Omarov was later killed by security forces.

Russian news channel SHOT reported that several attackers were barricaded in a residential building in Makhachkala. The Russian news site RBK stated that in Derbent, the restaurant where attackers had taken shelter was surrounded by authorities.

Your thoughts?

https://www.israelhayom.com/2024/06/23/deadly-attack-against-jewish-christian-targets-in-russias-dagestan-republic/

This was only a matter of time, you knew they were not taking internal security seriously after the Crocus city hall attack when the authorities spent more time trying to pin the blame on Ukraine than the actual terrorists who'd  already posted evidence that they were behind the attack.

With all eyes on the war in Ukraine, this opportunity has been noticed by extremists.

Unfortunately this is probably just the beginning and my own suspicion is that it’s due to the bombing of mosques in Gaza and the killing of Palestinians.

These extremists only need an excuse and unfortunately the genocide in Gaza has given them one…

7 hours ago, mafya said:

Unfortunately this is probably just the beginning and my own suspicion is that it’s due to the bombing of mosques in Gaza and the killing of Palestinians.

These extremists only need an excuse and unfortunately the genocide in Gaza has given them one…

But they have been doing this for years, what was the excuse then?

22 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

It's a ticking time bomb anything can upset them they are uncivilised and hate everyone even hate each other 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Bundy said:

I doubt it's got anything to do with the current situation in Gaza, Islamists have been fighting the Russian state for a very long time.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mafya said:

Do you mean the killing of Jews and the attack on the festival by the murderous Palestinian Hamas group?

7 hours ago, Uggy said:

Do you mean the killing of Jews and the attack on the festival by the murderous Palestinian Hamas group?

No I don’t, if you can understand written English then that’s your problem.

The October 7th attack was an attack in response to the decades of settler colonial apartheid abuse by Israel so maybe you look what has happened before October 7th or are you one of those people who believed it all started on October 7th?

12 hours ago, geared said:

I doubt it's got anything to do with the current situation in Gaza, Islamists have been fighting the Russian state for a very long time.

yes I understand that but unfortunately they will use the Gaza situation to justify their atrocities 

14 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

I don’t know but I’m assuming the Gaza situation is the reason they will state this time same as the Houthis and Hezbollah