Academia wasting more taxpayer cash.....

1 hour ago, SheffieldForum said:

Context:

They will examine the milk-related collections of the History of Science Museum to understand scientific knowledge production and the impact of colonial legacies on contemporary issues. 

By focusing on communities intersecting industry, aid, and government regulation, the project aims to centre heritage as a vital framework for understanding how colonial legacies influence contemporary issues and affect people's lives.

Through milk diaries, archival research, and participatory podcasting, it will investigate historical engagement with milk, building networks with consumers and producers in Britain and Kenya. 

The project will question both the imagined and real aspects of milk, revealing the intimate and political nature of this everyday substance. 

The ultimate goal is to develop new methodologies for investigating our relationship with milk over time, tracing the dramatic shifts in production and consumption over 200 years and the influence this has had on people, land and environment through dairy industrialisation. 

A podcast series will also be produced to share these insights with a broad audience. 

The series will learn from the histories and global forces shaping milk today to envision more sustainable futures.

I'm sorry,  but that 'context' is a load of tripe - you could apply it to almost anything. I still think these 'experts' are running out of meaningful research ideas.

3 hours ago, RollingJ said:

So you think the proposed 'research' is a valid subject?

Europeans, and their descendents, have a tolerance for lactose that much of the rest of the world doesn't. Examining the effects of European colonial powers promoting milk consumption on those who don't have the same lactose tolerance seems a reasonable area for research to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, altus said:

Europeans, and their descendents, have a tolerance for lactose that much of the rest of the world doesn't. Examining the effects of European colonial powers promoting milk consumption on those who don't have the same lactose tolerance seems a reasonable area for research to me.

It also gets a load of old giffas foaming at the mouth  about it and getting all shouty on social media.

So, that’s another win.

I can’t see anything wrong with trying to expand our knowledge of important stuff. I think that we’d all agree that milk is important stuff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

It also gets a load of old giffas foaming at the mouth  about it and getting all shouty on social media.

So, that’s another win.

I can’t see anything wrong with trying to expand our knowledge of important stuff. I think that we’d all agree that milk is important stuff.

How is the history of milk important  ?

Apparently 75% of adults in the world are lactose intolerant, however 75% of adult Europeans are not.

Could this be where the racism comes in?

On 25/06/2024 at 06:09, Uggy said:

Could this be where the racism comes in?

possibly?

Dairy farming requires huge amounts of deforestation (releasing CO2), the cows themselves release huge amounts of methane - which is worse than CO2.

A billion (or thereabouts) westerners get the benefit of Dairy farming (we do like milk and cheese), while a few billion (or thereabouts) people in ... 'Asia'  are some of the first to suffer from the effects of climate change - driven by CO2 - to which dairy farming is a significant contributor.

it's something to mull over while i enjoy this cheese sandwich, sitting in my air-conditioned office.

• Like 1

I think lactose intolerant folk can eat cheese, butter and yogurt, I'm not all that sure why though

2 hours ago, ads36 said:

possibly?

Dairy farming requires huge amounts of deforestation (releasing CO2), the cows themselves release huge amounts of methane - which is worse than CO2.

A billion (or thereabouts) westerners get the benefit of Dairy farming (we do like milk and cheese), while a few billion (or thereabouts) people in ... 'Asia'  are some of the first to suffer from the effects of climate change - driven by CO2 - to which dairy farming is a significant contributor.

it's something to mull over while i enjoy this cheese sandwich, sitting in my air-conditioned office.

Are you talking about deforestation in the Amazon rainforest?  I thought that was for beef farming not dairy cows?  Most of England was deforested hundreds of years ago.  The countryside in England we consider ‘natural’ is mostly shaped by human activity.

9 hours ago, ads36 said:

possibly?

Funniest post I've seen all day 

Thank you for the belly laugh 😃