Julian Assange will not be extradited to the US after reaching plea deal

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

I wonder if he'll fall out of a window; be knocked down; be poisoned or just simply vanish of the face of the Earth before the end of the year? 

He should have gone to the US & stood trial. 

My bold

For what? All he did was show America's war crimes. That's why they went after him.

28 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

My bold

For what? All he did was show America's war crimes. That's why they went after him.

And also revealed the names of dissident Iraqis & Afghans who were helping the coalition in the process. 

No doubt many of them are no longer around. 

3 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

And also revealed the names of dissident Iraqis & Afghans who were helping the coalition in the process. 

No doubt many of them are no longer around. 

I dare say there might have been some unintended consequences by releasing the information (I have no idea if what you claim is true or not) but American war crimes needed to be called out.

Also, Britain's hands aren't so clean when it comes to those who helped us. Iirc some Afghan interpreters were refused asylum in the UK despite being at risk of retribution.

And let's not forget all those in Afghanistan who were thrown to the wolves by America when they pulled out the way they did. 

10 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

I dare say there might have been some unintended consequences by releasing the information (I have no idea if what you claim is true or not) but American war crimes needed to be called out.

Also, Britain's hands aren't so clean when it comes to those who helped us. Iirc some Afghan interpreters were refused asylum in the UK despite being at risk of retribution.

And let's not forget all those in Afghanistan who were thrown to the wolves by America when they pulled out the way they did. 

My bold. 

What war crimes? 

People can't claim that Assange's revelations highlighted US & allies war crimes when years have passed & there's not been a single indictment of any such crimes in the International Criminal Court who deal with such matters. 

All that Assange's revelations did was put others in danger. 

20 hours ago, geared said:

I didn't feel like their story held much water, but even so he took the decision to run and hide rather than go and clear his name.

He was quite willing to clear his name, but not in Sweden where he woould have been extradited back to the USA. They could have done it via a British court, or even by video link.

Anyway the charges were dropped, what does that tell you...? 

Even now the final stage is going to be held in the middle of the pacific ocean on some remote island.

He clearly doesn't trust the Americans, and has every reason not to do so.

6 hours ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

What war crimes? 

People can't claim that Assange's revelations highlighted US & allies war crimes when years have passed & there's not been a single indictment of any such crimes in the International Criminal Court who deal with such matters. 

All that Assange's revelations did was put others in danger. 

Err... that's rather the point.

American war crimes are /were routinely covered up, so no indictments. Assange exposed the war crimes and provided the evidence to match. 

American authorities were outraged. They're supposed to be the good guys in the white hat, they don't want their dirty deeds visible.