Julian Assange will not be extradited to the US after reaching plea deal

12 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Even now the final stage is going to be held in the middle of the pacific ocean on some remote island.

Keep up - he's already landed in Australia.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Anyway the charges were dropped, what does that tell you...? 

You are aware he hid in the embassy till the statute of limitations kicked in yes?  That is very different from them dropping charges.

The Swedish prosecutors only discontinued one of the charges, again because so much time had passed the witnesses could not be relied on to give an accurate recollection anymore.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, geared said:

You are aware he hid in the embassy till the statute of limitations kicked in yes?  That is very different from them dropping charges.

The Swedish prosecutors only discontinued one of the charges, again because so much time had passed the witnesses could not be relied on to give an accurate recollection anymore.

My bold

Uk presecuters didn't seem to have the same problem when prosecuted Harris, Hall and the rest. Maybe the Swedes should have asked the UK for help or maybe there was nothing in the claims to begin with? 

40 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

My bold

Uk presecuters didn't seem to have the same problem when prosecuted Harris, Hall and the rest. Maybe the Swedes should have asked the UK for help or maybe there was nothing in the claims to begin with? 

Maybe Swedish law is different to ours . 

1 hour ago, The_DADDY said:

My bold

33 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Maybe Swedish law is different to ours . 

I think a different statute of limitations in Sweden; at least one of the accusations would have run out in 2015, but he didn't leave the embassy until 2019
He had previously offered to meet Swedish prosecutors at the Ecuadorian embassy, which I believe we were told they turned down.
Julian Assange agrees to meet with Swedish prosecutors in UK     CNN

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has agreed to be interviewed by Swedish prosecutors in London, his lawyer in Sweden told CNN.

Assange has been holed up in the Ecuadorian Embassy in London since June 2012 to avoid extradition to Sweden, where prosecutors want to question him about 2010 allegations that he raped one woman and sexually molested another.

According to the lawyer, Thomas Olsson, Swedish prosecutors will now have to reach out to British and Ecuadorian authorities to request permission to conduct the interview at the embassy.

I'm not sure that anyone really knows what happened regarding this, however, the following subsequently came to light; it seems that maybe The UK were the ones resisting the offer
UK resisted Julian Assange’s offer to be questioned in London, emails reveal Guardian
Documents show CPS told Swedish authorities it would ‘not be prudent’ to interview WikiLeaks founder inside Ecuadorian embassy

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

My bold

14 hours ago, peak4 said:

I think a different statute of limitations in Sweden; at least one of the accusations would have run out in 2015, but he didn't leave the embassy until 2019
He had previously offered to meet Swedish prosecutors at the Ecuadorian embassy, which I believe we were told they turned down.
Julian Assange agrees to meet with Swedish prosecutors in UK     CNN

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has agreed to be interviewed by Swedish prosecutors in London, his lawyer in Sweden told CNN.

Assange has been holed up in the Ecuadorian Embassy in London since June 2012 to avoid extradition to Sweden, where prosecutors want to question him about 2010 allegations that he raped one woman and sexually molested another.

According to the lawyer, Thomas Olsson, Swedish prosecutors will now have to reach out to British and Ecuadorian authorities to request permission to conduct the interview at the embassy.

I'm not sure that anyone really knows what happened regarding this, however, the following subsequently came to light; it seems that maybe The UK were the ones resisting the offer
UK resisted Julian Assange’s offer to be questioned in London, emails reveal Guardian
Documents show CPS told Swedish authorities it would ‘not be prudent’ to interview WikiLeaks founder inside Ecuadorian embassy

I think the main issue was one of jurisdiction.

They couldn't interview under caution (the Swedish equivalent) in a foreign country and they could not lay charges while in Ecuador.  So it would be nothing more than a little chat, and none of it would be considered evidence or presentable in court.

Some of the claims did seem spurious to us, but you have to remember it happened in a foreign country who's laws might view such things differently to our own.

• Thanks 1