is sheffield as safe as it was years ago?

with shoplifting on the increase , gun crime up, drug dealing seems to be at the highest ever, knife crime ect, do you feel as safe as years ago in sheffield? is it safe at night on your street, this i think will be intresting, is it where you live as in what area or what district?

i would not feel safe myself in some areas at night that i have driven through.

9 hours ago, bassett one said:

with shoplifting on the increase , gun crime up, drug dealing seems to be at the highest ever, knife crime ect, do you feel as safe as years ago in sheffield? is it safe at night on your street, this i think will be intresting, is it where you live as in what area or what district?

i would not feel safe myself in some areas at night that i have driven through.

No due to the usual areas, Burngreave, Page Hall, Darnall, some parts of the Manor and Gleadless, all of these were once nice working class areas some mostly now ghettos.

• Like 1

The High Street area in town is very dodgy.  I wouldn’t quite go as far as to say it felt ‘unsafe’ but it’s getting there.  
At the end of the day, the crime and anti social behaviour is down to inequality and poverty.  That’s not by way of an excuse (and am well aware that not everyone from a poor background turns to crime) but it is an explanation.  
There has been and will always be a minority who turn to crime no matter what.  But creating a more equal society would certainly reduce crime.  

• Like 1

There's no area of Sheffield I wouldn't - or indeed haven't - walk through.

Yes, incidents happen, but it isn't the norm. There aren't any no-go areas. Nowhere is as bad as online discourse makes it sound (and that isn't isolated to Sheffield - go on any Facebook group for a city and you'll see the same comments about areas in every place across the country).

• Like 3

The only area that was a no go zone was Catherine Street off Burngreave road but this was going back to the late eighties.

I think there used to be a pub on a corner and every time I attempted to go there ( work reasons) I was chased off.

45 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

The only area that was a no go zone was Catherine Street off Burngreave road but this was going back to the late eighties.

I think there used to be a pub on a corner and every time I attempted to go there ( work reasons) I was chased off.

The flats on Catherine Street were notorious. Demolished some time ago and replaced with family homes now.